Ogden junior high teacher charged with 'sexting' teen student
OGDEN — A junior high school teacher has been charged with sending nude photos of herself and sexually explicit messages to a 14-year-old student.
Liza Anne Roberts, 26, was charged Wednesday in 2nd District Court with sexual exploitation of a minor, a second-degree felony, and dealing in harmful material to a minor, a third-degree felony.
Prosecutors say Roberts bought a cellphone for the male student on Oct. 1 while she was teaching at Mound Fort Junior High School, 1396 Liberty Ave. in Ogden.
She and the student then "sent each other sexually explicit text messages and pictures containing nudity," according to charging documents. The student told investigators that Roberts sent a topless photo of herself and requested nude pictures of him in return.
The principal of the school was informed of the misconduct on Oct. 17, the charges state. Police seized the cellphones of both the boy and the teacher on Oct. 22.
Roberts made her initial appearance in court Wednesday and was able to post her $15,000 bond.
Wendy Morgan said her daughter was in Roberts' math class and both were surprised to hear about the charges.
“We would have never thought that Ms. Roberts was capable of doing something like this. ... There better be no other teachers doing this,” Morgan said. “She was a good teacher. She got my youngest ... to enroll into some honors classes. She pushed her to go forward. We are really shocked.”
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 38
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11
- Cheerleaders for Medicaid expansion ask... 9