BYU cross-country: women's team competes at Mountain Region Championships on Friday
PROVO, Utah — The women’s cross-country team competes at the Mountain Region Championships on Friday in Fort Collins, Colo., for one last chance at qualifying for nationals.
“If we want any chance of making it to Nationals, we need to beat Colorado this weekend,” head coach Patrick Shane said. “We can do it, but it will be tough. They haven’t been out of the top two in our region in years. Of the runners on our team, only two of them have any experience running at Nationals. We have a young team, but they know what they have to do to come out on top.”
In the most recent Mountain Region rankings, Weber State is ranked No. 1 followed by New Mexico and Colorado as No. 2 and No. 3, respectively. BYU is currently ranked No. 6 behind Colorado State and Southern Utah.
During the West Coast Conference Championships, BYU finished third with 85 points behind San Francisco and Portland. The Cougars were led by Freshman Natalie Shields’ fourth-place overall finish. All of the Cougars’ five scoring runners finished in the top-22 individually.
Rachel Stewart finished second for BYU and 18th overall. Lindsey Sowards Nielson, Darby and Laurent finished third, fourth and fifth for the Cougars and 21st, 22nd and 23rd overall, respectively. All five runners are also set for this weekend’s race at regionals.
The women’s race begins at 12 p.m. MT at Collindale Golf Course.
Collindale Golf Course is familiar territory for BYU and does not have any difficult or unique features about it. In the past, the two obstacles the team has faced in Colorado are a slight change in altitude and cold weather.
More information for the Mountain Regional Championships can be found on Colorado State's Athletics website.
Steven Tew is an SID at BYU Athletic Communications. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- Cougars looking for special season with...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- BYU football: Receiver Nick Kurtz poised for...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 84
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 62
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 26
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 26
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap... 25