Rep. Jeff Flake makes four: BYU will have a quartet of alumni in U.S. Senate
Matt York, Associated Press
When Arizona elected Rep. Jeff Flake to the U.S. Senate on Tuesday, it meant four BYU grads will be serving together in the Senate come January.
Joining Flake in the upper chamber of Congress will be fellow Cougars and sitting Republican senators Mike Lee (Utah), Orrin Hatch (Utah) and Mike Crapo (Idaho).
“Flake is a fiscal conservative, known for his opposition to federal spending and rising deficits,” Catalina Camia wrote Wednesday for USA Today. “In the race's final days, the six-term congressman got support from GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney, who argued that Flake would serve as a roadblock to Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid.”
“Flake, a six-term Republican congressman, is best known for his fierce opposition to ‘earmarks’ — special requests for federal dollars for local pet projects such as roads and bridges,” the Associated Press reported Wednesday.“He said his opposition is a move away from patronage and a move toward basing funding for projects on merit.”
The Hill blogger Ben Geman noted Wednesday how Flake is something of a political wild card when it comes to climate change: “The conservative Flake opposes cap-and-trade legislation and federal carbon emissions standards for coal-fired power plants, according to Arizona Public Radio. But Flake — whose campaign drew opposition from environmentalists — also has a history of bucking his party on climate change. In 2009, he introduced legislation that would have imposed a tax on oil, gas and coal production or imports.”
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-236-6051.
- Security breached: Intruder gets into White...
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Second man arrested trying to enter White...
- After vote to stay in UK, Scots must heal divide
- Italian village honoring pilots of WWII US...
- Actress detained by police refuses to apologize
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 8
- How much America wants to be taxed 8
- New Jersey loses 4th casino as Trump... 5
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- US to assign 3,000 from US military to... 4