Rep. Jeff Flake makes four: BYU will have a quartet of alumni in U.S. Senate
Matt York, Associated Press
When Arizona elected Rep. Jeff Flake to the U.S. Senate on Tuesday, it meant four BYU grads will be serving together in the Senate come January.
Joining Flake in the upper chamber of Congress will be fellow Cougars and sitting Republican senators Mike Lee (Utah), Orrin Hatch (Utah) and Mike Crapo (Idaho).
“Flake is a fiscal conservative, known for his opposition to federal spending and rising deficits,” Catalina Camia wrote Wednesday for USA Today. “In the race's final days, the six-term congressman got support from GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney, who argued that Flake would serve as a roadblock to Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid.”
“Flake, a six-term Republican congressman, is best known for his fierce opposition to ‘earmarks’ — special requests for federal dollars for local pet projects such as roads and bridges,” the Associated Press reported Wednesday.“He said his opposition is a move away from patronage and a move toward basing funding for projects on merit.”
The Hill blogger Ben Geman noted Wednesday how Flake is something of a political wild card when it comes to climate change: “The conservative Flake opposes cap-and-trade legislation and federal carbon emissions standards for coal-fired power plants, according to Arizona Public Radio. But Flake — whose campaign drew opposition from environmentalists — also has a history of bucking his party on climate change. In 2009, he introduced legislation that would have imposed a tax on oil, gas and coal production or imports.”
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-236-6051.
- Mitt Romney courts middle class, jabs Hillary...
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay marriage...
- McDonald's CEO steps down as sales decline
- Prosecutors promise thorough probe of police...
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts...
- Friend disputes Denver police account of...
- Arizona monitoring hundreds for measles...
- After setting iPhone record, what does Apple...
- Mitt Romney courts middle class, jabs... 24
- Victim of sexual abuse sues Boy Scouts... 19
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay... 16
- 'Potentially historic' blizzard... 12
- Some Republican presidential hopefuls... 12
- Denver police shoot, kill teen who... 12
- House GOP moves toward possible lawsuit... 11
- Prosecutors promise thorough probe of... 11