Rep. Jeff Flake makes four: BYU will have a quartet of alumni in U.S. Senate
Matt York, Associated Press
When Arizona elected Rep. Jeff Flake to the U.S. Senate on Tuesday, it meant four BYU grads will be serving together in the Senate come January.
Joining Flake in the upper chamber of Congress will be fellow Cougars and sitting Republican senators Mike Lee (Utah), Orrin Hatch (Utah) and Mike Crapo (Idaho).
“Flake is a fiscal conservative, known for his opposition to federal spending and rising deficits,” Catalina Camia wrote Wednesday for USA Today. “In the race's final days, the six-term congressman got support from GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney, who argued that Flake would serve as a roadblock to Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid.”
“Flake, a six-term Republican congressman, is best known for his fierce opposition to ‘earmarks’ — special requests for federal dollars for local pet projects such as roads and bridges,” the Associated Press reported Wednesday.“He said his opposition is a move away from patronage and a move toward basing funding for projects on merit.”
The Hill blogger Ben Geman noted Wednesday how Flake is something of a political wild card when it comes to climate change: “The conservative Flake opposes cap-and-trade legislation and federal carbon emissions standards for coal-fired power plants, according to Arizona Public Radio. But Flake — whose campaign drew opposition from environmentalists — also has a history of bucking his party on climate change. In 2009, he introduced legislation that would have imposed a tax on oil, gas and coal production or imports.”
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at email@example.com or 801-236-6051.
- Have you seen 'Age of Ultron'? Here are 50...
- Britain has a new princess — and...
- Floyd Mayweather wins decision over Manny...
- LA man builds small home for homeless lady
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage' behind...
- 18 of the best made-up words from children's...
- 'Avengers' sequel is second biggest US opener...
- New royal baby: Destined to be a 'spare to...
- Opposing sides of same-sex marriage... 125
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- Religious liberty issues dog Supreme... 44
- Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders: 'I am... 40
- Rage to relief in Baltimore as 6... 40
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem 24
- Latest on police-custody death: Curfew... 22
- Michelle Singletary: Stop picking on... 21