My Election Day experience was nice and relaxed because of vote-by mail
AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli
It’s probably been five years since my wife and I signed up for vote-by mail, and as a result we are far more deliberate and informed when casting our votes. It is such a positive contrast to the anxiety I used to feel to hurry up and get it done while standing in a voting booth, knowing that the line of voters behind me snaked out the door and around a corner.
Here’s how it works at our house:
Our ballots arrive almost four weeks early. When the literature arrives with the biographies of each of the candidates, including judicial appointments, as well as profiles — pro and con — about ballot initiatives, Marcella and I sit down together and go through the ballot candidate by candidate, taking turns reading the bios and discussing who we think would be the best office-holder. Not surprisingly, we don’t always vote the same — but we always have taken time to talk about it and read about it.
So, Election Day 2012 for me was rather relaxed. No lines. No waiting. No anxiety. I just had to wait and hope my candidates won!
Jerry Borrowman is a Chartered Financial Consultant with a Masters Degree in Financial Services (MSFS). He is a best-selling author of World War I and II fiction and co-authored biography. Visit www.jerryborrowman.com to learn more.
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Romney casts Arkansas race as way to fight Obama
- US diplomats barred from ice bucket challenge
- A tough label to chew on: What does...
- Twitter tries to block images of James Foley...
- Federal judge: Florida gay-marriage ban...
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S....
- Israeli airstrike kills 3 senior Hamas leaders
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 108
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 26
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S.... 26
- Police, protesters collide again in... 25
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 23
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 14
- Another American hostage at risk by... 12