Presidential election, Mitt Romney drive high Utah voter turnout
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Tight races and the presence of Mitt Romney on the ballot this year drove a near-record number of Utah voters to the polls Tuesday.
Mark Thomas, Utah state elections director, said voter participation is always high in presidential election years, but the "Mitt factor" helped stoke an amplified interest.
About 147,100 fewer voters were registered to vote in the 2012 election in Utah than in 2008, but a higher percentage was expected to turn out to vote, Thomas said. He expected more than 75 percent to participate this year.
Thomas estimated about 40 percent of the state voted early, keeping them out of what were at times long precinct lines on Election Day. It was the highest percentage of early voters since it became an option in 2006, Thomas said.
Voters also had other reasons to get to the polls, from redistricting to the addition of the 4th Congressional District, a heated Salt Lake County mayoral race, constitutional amendments and ballot propositions.
"All of that certainly translates to higher voter turnout," Thomas said. "And candidates' campaigns have been active in getting supporters out. That makes a big difference."
Statewide voter turnout in presidential elections
2008 — 67.8 percent
2004 — 73.7 percent
2000 — 69.9 percent
1996 — 65 percent
1992 — 80.8 percent
1988 — 81.9 percent
1984 — 76.4 percent
1980 — 78 percent
1976 — 78 percent
1972 — 77.3 percent
1968 — 78 percent
1964 — 89.6 percent
1960 — 89 percent
SOURCE: Utah Lieutenant Governor's Office
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested for...
- Candlelight vigil held for critically injured...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- Former Ute, NFL player brings holiday cheer...
- Two arrested in SLC homicide investigation
- Four being questioned in attempted murder of...
- Driver allegedly causes accident on I-15,...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 95
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 36
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 33
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 20
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary... 15
- Regulators, groups eye EPA rule on coal... 11