Presidential election, Mitt Romney drive high Utah voter turnout
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Tight races and the presence of Mitt Romney on the ballot this year drove a near-record number of Utah voters to the polls Tuesday.
Mark Thomas, Utah state elections director, said voter participation is always high in presidential election years, but the "Mitt factor" helped stoke an amplified interest.
About 147,100 fewer voters were registered to vote in the 2012 election in Utah than in 2008, but a higher percentage was expected to turn out to vote, Thomas said. He expected more than 75 percent to participate this year.
Thomas estimated about 40 percent of the state voted early, keeping them out of what were at times long precinct lines on Election Day. It was the highest percentage of early voters since it became an option in 2006, Thomas said.
Voters also had other reasons to get to the polls, from redistricting to the addition of the 4th Congressional District, a heated Salt Lake County mayoral race, constitutional amendments and ballot propositions.
"All of that certainly translates to higher voter turnout," Thomas said. "And candidates' campaigns have been active in getting supporters out. That makes a big difference."
Statewide voter turnout in presidential elections
2008 — 67.8 percent
2004 — 73.7 percent
2000 — 69.9 percent
1996 — 65 percent
1992 — 80.8 percent
1988 — 81.9 percent
1984 — 76.4 percent
1980 — 78 percent
1976 — 78 percent
1972 — 77.3 percent
1968 — 78 percent
1964 — 89.6 percent
1960 — 89 percent
SOURCE: Utah Lieutenant Governor's Office
- Kennecott hopes project will change mountain...
- Many questions remain in case of baby found...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Family of fallen officer Derek Johnson...
- Becky Lockhart serious about superintendent...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Woman who drank toxic tea credits God, family...
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 47
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 30
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22