PROVO, Utah – For the last preseason tournament, the men’s tennis team will play in the 56th Annual Southern California Intercollegiate Championships at the Los Angeles Tennis Center on UCLA’s campus.
Freshman John Pearce enters the tournament as a No. 5 seed and plays Frederik Wilkens from Azusa Pacific University in the main draw Thursday at 10 a.m. PST.
Also in the main draw, sophomore Francis Sargeant battles the No. 3 seed Mousheg Hovhannisyan from Pepperdine. Sophomore Keaton Cullimore plays a No. 5 seed in Mbonisi Ndimande from UCSB.
The Cougars have three players in the qualifying singles draw which begins Wednesday. Freshman Scott Bohne faces off against Concordia’s Christian Wickenhauser at 10 a.m.
Nikki Rae, also a freshman, starts his match against San Diego’s Andrew Carlisle at 11:30 a.m. Junior Travis Fillmore plays Kona Luu from UCSD at 11:30 a.m.
Pearce and Cullimore will represent BYU in the main draw of the doubles competition which begins Thursday.
In the qualifying doubles round, Fillmore and Sargeant will play Carlisle and Ciaran Fitzgerald on Thursday at 4:30 p.m. Bohne and Rae will also compete together at 4:30 against Nick Northcott and Felix Van Kann from Loyola Marymount.
The tournament can be followed on USTA’s website.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 139
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 60
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 39
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 39
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 21