PROVO, Utah – For the last preseason tournament, the men’s tennis team will play in the 56th Annual Southern California Intercollegiate Championships at the Los Angeles Tennis Center on UCLA’s campus.
Freshman John Pearce enters the tournament as a No. 5 seed and plays Frederik Wilkens from Azusa Pacific University in the main draw Thursday at 10 a.m. PST.
Also in the main draw, sophomore Francis Sargeant battles the No. 3 seed Mousheg Hovhannisyan from Pepperdine. Sophomore Keaton Cullimore plays a No. 5 seed in Mbonisi Ndimande from UCSB.
The Cougars have three players in the qualifying singles draw which begins Wednesday. Freshman Scott Bohne faces off against Concordia’s Christian Wickenhauser at 10 a.m.
Nikki Rae, also a freshman, starts his match against San Diego’s Andrew Carlisle at 11:30 a.m. Junior Travis Fillmore plays Kona Luu from UCSD at 11:30 a.m.
Pearce and Cullimore will represent BYU in the main draw of the doubles competition which begins Thursday.
In the qualifying doubles round, Fillmore and Sargeant will play Carlisle and Ciaran Fitzgerald on Thursday at 4:30 p.m. Bohne and Rae will also compete together at 4:30 against Nick Northcott and Felix Van Kann from Loyola Marymount.
The tournament can be followed on USTA’s website.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU downs BYU...
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 46
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 43
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 32
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 31