PROVO, Utah – For the last preseason tournament, the men’s tennis team will play in the 56th Annual Southern California Intercollegiate Championships at the Los Angeles Tennis Center on UCLA’s campus.
Freshman John Pearce enters the tournament as a No. 5 seed and plays Frederik Wilkens from Azusa Pacific University in the main draw Thursday at 10 a.m. PST.
Also in the main draw, sophomore Francis Sargeant battles the No. 3 seed Mousheg Hovhannisyan from Pepperdine. Sophomore Keaton Cullimore plays a No. 5 seed in Mbonisi Ndimande from UCSB.
The Cougars have three players in the qualifying singles draw which begins Wednesday. Freshman Scott Bohne faces off against Concordia’s Christian Wickenhauser at 10 a.m.
Nikki Rae, also a freshman, starts his match against San Diego’s Andrew Carlisle at 11:30 a.m. Junior Travis Fillmore plays Kona Luu from UCSD at 11:30 a.m.
Pearce and Cullimore will represent BYU in the main draw of the doubles competition which begins Thursday.
In the qualifying doubles round, Fillmore and Sargeant will play Carlisle and Ciaran Fitzgerald on Thursday at 4:30 p.m. Bohne and Rae will also compete together at 4:30 against Nick Northcott and Felix Van Kann from Loyola Marymount.
The tournament can be followed on USTA’s website.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert gets pushy with...
- BYU focusing on bowl game while players'...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 51
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 50
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 30
- Ute football team has boots on the... 28