Jacquelyn Martin, ASSOCIATED PRESS
SALT LAKE CITY — The “Community Action Partnership of Utah and the Earn it. Keep it. $ave it. Coalition,” along with AARP Tax-Aide, are looking for community volunteers and sites to provide free income tax help across Utah.
Both groups provide free tax help to individuals and families with low to moderate income, seniors, the disabled and those with English as a second language.
Volunteers are provided training in tax law on current year federal and Utah State Tax Commission returns as well as on the use of tax software for electronically filing tax returns.
Tax volunteers help determine if a taxpayer is eligible for deductions, allowable expenses and credits. Some tax credits are refundable and may result in or increase a refund if the taxpayer has already overpaid their taxes for the year.
In order to prepare tax returns, a volunteer must pass a competency test. Those who do not pass the tax exam can still volunteer to welcome taxpayers while providing initial forms and answering general questions.
There is no formal commitment by taking the tax training. Volunteers are asked to donate a few hours of their time one to two days per week during the tax season. Volunteer sites are also needed to host the free tax help being offered to the community.
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 107
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 89
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 77
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23