Jacquelyn Martin, ASSOCIATED PRESS
SALT LAKE CITY — The “Community Action Partnership of Utah and the Earn it. Keep it. $ave it. Coalition,” along with AARP Tax-Aide, are looking for community volunteers and sites to provide free income tax help across Utah.
Both groups provide free tax help to individuals and families with low to moderate income, seniors, the disabled and those with English as a second language.
Volunteers are provided training in tax law on current year federal and Utah State Tax Commission returns as well as on the use of tax software for electronically filing tax returns.
Tax volunteers help determine if a taxpayer is eligible for deductions, allowable expenses and credits. Some tax credits are refundable and may result in or increase a refund if the taxpayer has already overpaid their taxes for the year.
In order to prepare tax returns, a volunteer must pass a competency test. Those who do not pass the tax exam can still volunteer to welcome taxpayers while providing initial forms and answering general questions.
There is no formal commitment by taking the tax training. Volunteers are asked to donate a few hours of their time one to two days per week during the tax season. Volunteer sites are also needed to host the free tax help being offered to the community.
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Doug Robinson: Utah's Glen Hanson has had an...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Minor earthquake shakes southern Utah town
- President Packer's enduring legacy includes...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 64
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 39
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 24
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with... 12