Jacquelyn Martin, ASSOCIATED PRESS
SALT LAKE CITY — The “Community Action Partnership of Utah and the Earn it. Keep it. $ave it. Coalition,” along with AARP Tax-Aide, are looking for community volunteers and sites to provide free income tax help across Utah.
Both groups provide free tax help to individuals and families with low to moderate income, seniors, the disabled and those with English as a second language.
Volunteers are provided training in tax law on current year federal and Utah State Tax Commission returns as well as on the use of tax software for electronically filing tax returns.
Tax volunteers help determine if a taxpayer is eligible for deductions, allowable expenses and credits. Some tax credits are refundable and may result in or increase a refund if the taxpayer has already overpaid their taxes for the year.
In order to prepare tax returns, a volunteer must pass a competency test. Those who do not pass the tax exam can still volunteer to welcome taxpayers while providing initial forms and answering general questions.
There is no formal commitment by taking the tax training. Volunteers are asked to donate a few hours of their time one to two days per week during the tax season. Volunteer sites are also needed to host the free tax help being offered to the community.
- UDOT announces road project schedule for 2015
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to dial...
- Can you name your U.S. Representative? See...
- Eagle Mountain man killed in alleged domestic...
- Educators call for funding, legislation to...
- Hope in a crisis: School, community leaders...
- Doug Robinson: Managing a delicate balance
- Washington Terrace woman found dead, 2 in...
- Officer in parade controversy speaks... 267
- Gov. Herbert increases pressure on... 52
- Illinois professor could help Utah... 43
- House Speaker Greg Hughes kills hopes... 34
- Utah Senate rejects delay to Count My... 20
- Lawmakers consider academic turnaround... 17
- Some GOP House members disagree with... 17
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to... 17