SALT LAKE CITY — Three people have been arrested after police say they dumped the body of an acquaintance who apparently overdosed on drugs.
Monday night, the body of Eva Montanez, 45, was found covered in a pile of leaves behind businesses near 900 W. North Temple. Her body was found by a nearby fast-food employee.
Based on their investigation, Salt Lake police arrested Leo Maestas, 45, Michael Montoya, 65, and Catherine Elfida-Eichler, 65.
Montanez was in a house with the same three people when she died from an overdose, a Salt Lake County Jail report states. The house is near the area where her body was found. Another report states, however, that the body was moved "into the back alley of the neighboring house."
When police searched Elfida-Eichler's pockets after she was arrested, they discovered "a loaded syringe with a dark substance," which she told them was heroin," a report states.
Salt Lake police said Tuesday Montanez had no no obvious signs of trauma, but they were waiting for toxicology tests from the medical examiner to be completed before determining a cause of death.
All of the people involved — Montanez and the three people arrested — have extensive criminal histories, including drug-related convictions, according to Utah court records.
Maestas, Elfida-Eichler and Montoya were all booked into jail for investigation of abuse of a corpse. Elfida-Eichler was also booked for investigation of drug possession. She and Montoya also had outstanding warrants.
- Carbon County deputy saves father, son from...
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- Sugar House man intends to sue police, city...
- Fire rips through Orem structure under...
- Grading Utah schools, 2014: Top 20 highest...
- Woman killed in Sandy shooting
- 4 interactive ways to teach your kids about...
- Gov. Herbert nominates 3rd District Judge...
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 51
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 50
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 33
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 33
- Popular Utah County water recreation... 21
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utahns favor Count My Vote and SB54,... 15