SALT LAKE CITY — Three people have been arrested after police say they dumped the body of an acquaintance who apparently overdosed on drugs.
Monday night, the body of Eva Montanez, 45, was found covered in a pile of leaves behind businesses near 900 W. North Temple. Her body was found by a nearby fast-food employee.
Based on their investigation, Salt Lake police arrested Leo Maestas, 45, Michael Montoya, 65, and Catherine Elfida-Eichler, 65.
Montanez was in a house with the same three people when she died from an overdose, a Salt Lake County Jail report states. The house is near the area where her body was found. Another report states, however, that the body was moved "into the back alley of the neighboring house."
When police searched Elfida-Eichler's pockets after she was arrested, they discovered "a loaded syringe with a dark substance," which she told them was heroin," a report states.
Salt Lake police said Tuesday Montanez had no no obvious signs of trauma, but they were waiting for toxicology tests from the medical examiner to be completed before determining a cause of death.
All of the people involved — Montanez and the three people arrested — have extensive criminal histories, including drug-related convictions, according to Utah court records.
Maestas, Elfida-Eichler and Montoya were all booked into jail for investigation of abuse of a corpse. Elfida-Eichler was also booked for investigation of drug possession. She and Montoya also had outstanding warrants.
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley detective...
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- Draper man dies from injuries in house explosion
- Salt Lake bike share program doubles in size
- Federal land managers criticized over... 24
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 19
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 14
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 11
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 11