SALT LAKE CITY — Three people have been arrested after police say they dumped the body of an acquaintance who apparently overdosed on drugs.
Monday night, the body of Eva Montanez, 45, was found covered in a pile of leaves behind businesses near 900 W. North Temple. Her body was found by a nearby fast-food employee.
Based on their investigation, Salt Lake police arrested Leo Maestas, 45, Michael Montoya, 65, and Catherine Elfida-Eichler, 65.
Montanez was in a house with the same three people when she died from an overdose, a Salt Lake County Jail report states. The house is near the area where her body was found. Another report states, however, that the body was moved "into the back alley of the neighboring house."
When police searched Elfida-Eichler's pockets after she was arrested, they discovered "a loaded syringe with a dark substance," which she told them was heroin," a report states.
Salt Lake police said Tuesday Montanez had no no obvious signs of trauma, but they were waiting for toxicology tests from the medical examiner to be completed before determining a cause of death.
All of the people involved — Montanez and the three people arrested — have extensive criminal histories, including drug-related convictions, according to Utah court records.
Maestas, Elfida-Eichler and Montoya were all booked into jail for investigation of abuse of a corpse. Elfida-Eichler was also booked for investigation of drug possession. She and Montoya also had outstanding warrants.
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- Real Salt Lake: 'No comment' on XanGo...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 42
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- S.L. draws up airport plans 26
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 22
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 18
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 17
- Utah facing $1.2 billion-dollar water... 11