Most of the storage options we have been talking about accommodate items that fall into the useful but not beautiful category, meaning that you want these items hidden from view. However, we are sure you have some lovely items and collections that you want to store where they can be seen. For these items, consider storage on open shelves or behind glass cabinet doors. Ideally, these will be items that you actually use but which can also be showcased when they are not in use.
For those items that are too precious to risk using, find a way not just to store them but to display them so they can be part of your daily life. If you have collections, they say something about you. Displaying collections and showcasing your passions are a good way to give your house personality. In architecture, our goal is not only to give you a well-designed, organized and comfortable home, but also a home that is uniquely yours and says something about you and your family.
“They” say you can never have too much storage, but we say you can surely have too much stuff. It is not a wise investment to spend money on creating storage to hold things you may need "someday." Cull, pare down, sort, redistribute and throw away. Once you get started, it feels great. It also feels great to have adequate, accessible and practical storage to help you keep your life and family organized and efficient. You do your part and we’ll do ours, and your life will change for the better.
Ann Robinson and Annie V. Schwemmer are the principal architects and co-founders of a residential architectural firm focused on life-changing remodeling designs at RenovationDesignGroup.com. Send comments or questions to ask@RenovationDesignGroup.com
- 5 parenting lessons from movies
- Sutton Foster promises 'an intimate look at...
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid worst...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- This one thing can help predict the type and...
- BYU announces Mitt Romney, Disney...
- Salt Lake Comic Con and Utah Symphony present...
- It's about time the government... 12
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 8
- Parents respond to Nicki Minaj's 'vile'... 7
- In the Whirled: World peace and the... 5
- The Clean Cut: CBS News features boy... 5
- Would you rather get married earlier,... 4
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Face time vs. screen time: The... 2