Most of the storage options we have been talking about accommodate items that fall into the useful but not beautiful category, meaning that you want these items hidden from view. However, we are sure you have some lovely items and collections that you want to store where they can be seen. For these items, consider storage on open shelves or behind glass cabinet doors. Ideally, these will be items that you actually use but which can also be showcased when they are not in use.
For those items that are too precious to risk using, find a way not just to store them but to display them so they can be part of your daily life. If you have collections, they say something about you. Displaying collections and showcasing your passions are a good way to give your house personality. In architecture, our goal is not only to give you a well-designed, organized and comfortable home, but also a home that is uniquely yours and says something about you and your family.
“They” say you can never have too much storage, but we say you can surely have too much stuff. It is not a wise investment to spend money on creating storage to hold things you may need "someday." Cull, pare down, sort, redistribute and throw away. Once you get started, it feels great. It also feels great to have adequate, accessible and practical storage to help you keep your life and family organized and efficient. You do your part and we’ll do ours, and your life will change for the better.
Ann Robinson and Annie V. Schwemmer are the principal architects and co-founders of a residential architectural firm focused on life-changing remodeling designs at RenovationDesignGroup.com. Send comments or questions to ask@RenovationDesignGroup.com
- Provo's Waffle Love made time for church...
- The cost of child care trumps rent —...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- The Clean Cut: Peewee football players dance...
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending
- 30 questions to ask your kid instead of 'How...
- Teach your children to be coachable
- UTubers: Jenny Oaks Baker performs tribute to...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: To the mom who... 7
- Here’s a look at Disney’s... 5
- Chris Hicks: Modern comedies... 4
- 5 amazing true stories of fate bringing... 3
- My view: Teenagers need environments... 3
- The cost of child care trumps rent... 3
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: Your presence is... 2
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending 2