Video: After cancer diagnosis, Indianapolis Colts coach Chuck Pagano delivers passionate postgame speech
Chuck Pagano, the previous defensive guru of the Baltimore Ravens, had just landed his first NFL head coaching job this year in Indianapolis. Colts fans had high hopes for Pagano after seeing his defenses in Baltimore perform well. It was a new page for the Colts after legendary quarterback Peyton Manning departed.
The Colts have been a surprising success this NFL season. Experts picked them to be one of the worst teams in the league without Manning; last season, while Manning was injured, the Colts limped to a 2-14 record, tied for worst in the league.
Instead, in 2012 the Colts have achieved a 5-3 record thus far, good for second place in the AFC South division and firmly in the playoff race.
Much of this success is due to rookie quarterback Andrew Luck, who sits near the league leaders in passing yards. Pagano's defense, however, has also performed above expectations.
But as soon as Pagano's head coaching journey began, it came to a sudden halt. Last month, Pagano was diagnosed with leukemia. He has been away from the team ever since, undergoing chemotherapy treatment.
Pagano made his first appearance in front of the team yesterday after the Colts' crucial win over the Miami Dolphins. Looking worn from the chemotherapy, Pagano mustered up and delivered a passionately inspiring postgame speech. This video shows the full speech and powerful message behind it.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 108
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 71
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 43
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21