VERNAL — A Uintah County man fired multiple shots during a weekend party in an effort to drive off a group of party crashers, according to sheriff's deputies.
A number of people called Central Dispatch about 11 p.m. Saturday to report that several shots had been fired near 2700 East and 5000 South, said Uintah County Sheriff's Cpl. Dustin Cheshire.
Deputies responded to a house in the area and found a large party under way. They questioned people in the house and learned that several individuals at the party had not been invited and had been told to leave by the homeowner, Donny Mendoza.
"After numerous attempts to get these people to leave, Mendoza retrieved a pistol and fired multiple shots in the air as intimidation," Cheshire said.
Deputies estimate there were 30 people inside the house and on the property at the time the shots were fired. Alcohol use was a factor in the incident, Cheshire said.
Mendoza, 29, was arrested and booked into the Uintah County Jail for investigation of multiple weapons violations.
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 107
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 89
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 77
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23