VERNAL — A Uintah County man fired multiple shots during a weekend party in an effort to drive off a group of party crashers, according to sheriff's deputies.
A number of people called Central Dispatch about 11 p.m. Saturday to report that several shots had been fired near 2700 East and 5000 South, said Uintah County Sheriff's Cpl. Dustin Cheshire.
Deputies responded to a house in the area and found a large party under way. They questioned people in the house and learned that several individuals at the party had not been invited and had been told to leave by the homeowner, Donny Mendoza.
"After numerous attempts to get these people to leave, Mendoza retrieved a pistol and fired multiple shots in the air as intimidation," Cheshire said.
Deputies estimate there were 30 people inside the house and on the property at the time the shots were fired. Alcohol use was a factor in the incident, Cheshire said.
Mendoza, 29, was arrested and booked into the Uintah County Jail for investigation of multiple weapons violations.
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Body of man, 51, discovered outside Cedar City
- Judge: Biological father will share custody...
- 14-year-old boy is losing his sight but sees...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- National, local businesses file briefs... 54
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 21
- Local religious leaders urge support... 20