Police investigating fatal shooting of South Salt Lake woman
SOUTH SALT LAKE — Police are investigating the fatal shooting of a South Salt Lake woman in her apartment early Sunday morning.
The 43-year-old woman died of a single gunshot wound to the upper body, said South Salt Lake police spokesman Gary Keller.
"We are treating it as a homicide," he said.
Officers responded to a 911 call of shots fired about 4 a.m Sunday at 2389 S. 300 East, he said. They found the woman dead in the apartment. Police have not released her name.
"We have no motive and no suspects at this time," Keller said. Police obtained a search warrant for the apartment and an investigation is continuing.
Investigators are waiting for an autopsy report from the state medical examiner. "We have one identifiable gunshot wound but who knows what else there is," he said.
The woman lived in an older house that had been converted into three apartments. Neighbors say the occupancy turns over frequently and that the woman lived alone.
"They're really quiet at that house," said Chad Taylor, a lifelong resident of the area. "I hardly ever see anyone coming or going, maybe when I walk my dog but that's it."
Taylor said he didn't hear any gunshots, but that sound could easily be confused with the popping of a nearby electrical transformer and fireworks that children on the street have been lighting.
Keller said he doesn't know whether the 911 call came from inside the victim's apartment house or from neighbors.
- LDS Church names Elder Clayton new senior...
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit filed by...
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason polygamy...
- SUU mourns loss of aviation instructors...
- New enrollment numbers show UVU now the...
- Woman accused of killing girlfriend by...
- Boston-bound airline pilot from West Jordan...
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 35
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 31
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 24
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 16
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 16
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 14