Police investigating fatal shooting of South Salt Lake woman
SOUTH SALT LAKE — Police are investigating the fatal shooting of a South Salt Lake woman in her apartment early Sunday morning.
The 43-year-old woman died of a single gunshot wound to the upper body, said South Salt Lake police spokesman Gary Keller.
"We are treating it as a homicide," he said.
Officers responded to a 911 call of shots fired about 4 a.m Sunday at 2389 S. 300 East, he said. They found the woman dead in the apartment. Police have not released her name.
"We have no motive and no suspects at this time," Keller said. Police obtained a search warrant for the apartment and an investigation is continuing.
Investigators are waiting for an autopsy report from the state medical examiner. "We have one identifiable gunshot wound but who knows what else there is," he said.
The woman lived in an older house that had been converted into three apartments. Neighbors say the occupancy turns over frequently and that the woman lived alone.
"They're really quiet at that house," said Chad Taylor, a lifelong resident of the area. "I hardly ever see anyone coming or going, maybe when I walk my dog but that's it."
Taylor said he didn't hear any gunshots, but that sound could easily be confused with the popping of a nearby electrical transformer and fireworks that children on the street have been lighting.
Keller said he doesn't know whether the 911 call came from inside the victim's apartment house or from neighbors.
- Kennecott hopes project will change mountain...
- Many questions remain in case of baby found...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Family of fallen officer Derek Johnson...
- Becky Lockhart serious about superintendent...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Woman who drank toxic tea credits God, family...
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 47
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 30
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22