LAS VEGAS –The men’s and women’s swimming teams both came up short against UNLV on Saturday at the Buchanan Natatorium. The men’s team lost 156.5-143.5 and the women’s team lost 163-137.
“We had a lot of great swims today as a team,” head coachJohn Brooks said. “Our men’s team swam really well and came close to beating a strong team. Our women’s team is improving every week and making great strides.”
The Cougars won eight events on the day and had multiple swimmers take second place as well.
“I thought Brady Wells, Preston Jenkins, Garret Beaman,Angela Bennion, Hailey Campbell and Kimberly Welch Doroghian all swam well today,” Brooks said. “Payton Sorenson came close to swimming a personal best even while dealing with migraines all day.”
Nicholas Suder won both the men’s 1-m and 3-m events. Suder won the 1-m with a score of 317.25 and the 3-m with a score of 297.38. The Cougars swept the 3-m with David Corless taking second with a score of 287.25 and Edward Young taking third with a score of 275.63. Young also took second in the 1-m with a score of 255.15.
For the women, Dayna Christensen won the 3-m with a score of 318.00 and took second in the 1-m with a score of 265.58. Raleigh Williams took second in the 3-m with a score of 291.15 and third in the 1-m with a score of 241.95.
The women swept the top three spots in the 100 breast. Kassandra Bispo took first with a time of 1:04.89, Londyn Clawsonwas second with a time of 1:05.37 and Mallory Harris was third with a time of 1:06.24.
Doroghian and Jessica Ampuero went 1-2 in the 200 fly. Doroghian won with a time of 2:04.46 and Ampuero touched the wall in 2:07.75.
The Cougars won both the men’s and the women’s 200 back. Campbell won with a time of 2:03.29 and Preston Jenkins won with a time of 1:48.14.
In the last event of the meet, the men’s 400 free relay consisting of David Armstrong, Beaman, Jenkins and Murray, won with a time of 3:03.25.
The men’s and women’s teams both have the week off before the swimming and diving teams split up and go to different events. The diving teams travel to Arizona to take part in the Wildcat Diving Invite on Nov. 16-17. The swimming teams travel to California to take part in the Arena Invitational on Nov. 15-17.
Jared Houghton is a Sports Information Director who works in the BYU Athletic Communications with the men's and women's swimming teams. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions relating to swimming.
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- BYU football hosts 'Friday Night Lights'...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- Utah football: Booker's return lifts offense,...
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date with...
- Runnin' Utes take on Duke in Texas-sized venue
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL president...
- Utes to face Duke in the Sweet 16... 207
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill is making a... 31
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 29
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- It's Coach K vs. Coach K as Utah... 22
- Ogden chooses to play as an independent... 21