Utah Jazz: Scott Layden appreciates time with Jazz, excited to be with Spurs
"I hadn't anticipated getting back into coaching but when coach Sloan asked me to be his assistant, I couldn't turn him down. You can go be Jerry Sloan's assistant? Are you kidding me?" he said. "And then I was there seven years. I didn't know how long I would be there and it just worked out great."
Layden has been well respected in hoops circles for his knack for finding hidden talent since convincing the Jazz to take guys named John Stockton and Karl Malone, and he's enjoying being back in the evaluating game.
Layden used to make scouting reports for the Jazz, but now his job involves him scouting other NBA games on the road, attending college contests and occasionally going overseas to watch hoops.
"I like the scouting end of it," he said. "It's a lot of fun."
Corbin said Layden, whom he called "really astute to what's going on there (with players)," never talked about having his eye on moving into the front office while he was an assistant coach.
He also enjoyed visiting with Layden, who pointed out that he's worked with Corbin three times — once when the Jazz coach was a Jazz player in the early 90s, again when the Knicks hired him as the player development coach and, of course, for the past seven years on Utah's coaching staff.
"We miss him," said Corbin, who promoted Michael Sanders to assistant and hired Brad Jones as player development coach in Layden's absence. "He's done a great job with this organization for many years, and it's always good to see him doing well and doing what he wanted to do."
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah Jazz: Latest acquisition Booker aims to...
- Rock On: Utah has LeBron Syndrome
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 86
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 75
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 39
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars... 24