Utah Jazz: Scott Layden appreciates time with Jazz, excited to be with Spurs
"I hadn't anticipated getting back into coaching but when coach Sloan asked me to be his assistant, I couldn't turn him down. You can go be Jerry Sloan's assistant? Are you kidding me?" he said. "And then I was there seven years. I didn't know how long I would be there and it just worked out great."
Layden has been well respected in hoops circles for his knack for finding hidden talent since convincing the Jazz to take guys named John Stockton and Karl Malone, and he's enjoying being back in the evaluating game.
Layden used to make scouting reports for the Jazz, but now his job involves him scouting other NBA games on the road, attending college contests and occasionally going overseas to watch hoops.
"I like the scouting end of it," he said. "It's a lot of fun."
Corbin said Layden, whom he called "really astute to what's going on there (with players)," never talked about having his eye on moving into the front office while he was an assistant coach.
He also enjoyed visiting with Layden, who pointed out that he's worked with Corbin three times — once when the Jazz coach was a Jazz player in the early 90s, again when the Knicks hired him as the player development coach and, of course, for the past seven years on Utah's coaching staff.
"We miss him," said Corbin, who promoted Michael Sanders to assistant and hired Brad Jones as player development coach in Layden's absence. "He's done a great job with this organization for many years, and it's always good to see him doing well and doing what he wanted to do."
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 121
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 32
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 20