Deseret News among fastest growing newspapers nationally
Sunday edition now largest Utah paper by circulation
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE—The Deseret News reported an 88 percent jump in Sunday newspaper circulation, making it the largest in Utah and one of the fastest growing in the U.S., according to a report from the Audit Bureau of Circulation and a news release from the Newspaper Agency Corporation.
Sunday circulation rose to 176,096. The weekday circulation rose 32 percent year over year to 91,639. The Sunday increase makes Deseret News the third fastest growing paper in the U.S. with a circulation more than 100,000.
“Deseret News Sunday overall growth was driven by rapid growth in its national print reach along with its digital application usage,” said the Newspaper Agency Corporation in a statement.
At the Salt Lake Tribune, Sunday circulation rose by 10 percent to 135,550 while its weekday circulation fell 3 percent to 102,691.
"We are pleased with these results, especially at a time of declining circulation at many papers," said Christopher Lee, publisher of the Deseret News and vice president of Deseret Digital Media. "The real thanks goes to our loyal print subscribers in Utah and around the country, and to the growing digital audience on our apps and website."
In the Salt Lake market area, combined weekly print and monthly web readership for the Deseret News grew by 15 percent year over year, while the Salt Lake Tribune’s fell 10 percent.
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride Center's...
- 'You can see the jaw marks': Pleasant Grove...
- 1 dead in Uintah County after track hoe...
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in Provo
- Sister missionaries relocated from Provo MTC...
- Ask a Chef: 3 funeral potato recipes that...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry for...
- Former U. offensive lineman's talents combine...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 55
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 41
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 38
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12