Deseret News among fastest growing newspapers nationally
Sunday edition now largest Utah paper by circulation
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE—The Deseret News reported an 88 percent jump in Sunday newspaper circulation, making it the largest in Utah and one of the fastest growing in the U.S., according to a report from the Audit Bureau of Circulation and a news release from the Newspaper Agency Corporation.
Sunday circulation rose to 176,096. The weekday circulation rose 32 percent year over year to 91,639. The Sunday increase makes Deseret News the third fastest growing paper in the U.S. with a circulation more than 100,000.
“Deseret News Sunday overall growth was driven by rapid growth in its national print reach along with its digital application usage,” said the Newspaper Agency Corporation in a statement.
At the Salt Lake Tribune, Sunday circulation rose by 10 percent to 135,550 while its weekday circulation fell 3 percent to 102,691.
"We are pleased with these results, especially at a time of declining circulation at many papers," said Christopher Lee, publisher of the Deseret News and vice president of Deseret Digital Media. "The real thanks goes to our loyal print subscribers in Utah and around the country, and to the growing digital audience on our apps and website."
In the Salt Lake market area, combined weekly print and monthly web readership for the Deseret News grew by 15 percent year over year, while the Salt Lake Tribune’s fell 10 percent.
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Family seeks change as poisoned tea...
- Utah County teen made bomb threat, other...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 41
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 33
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 27
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22