Deseret News among fastest growing newspapers nationally
Sunday edition now largest Utah paper by circulation
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE—The Deseret News reported an 88 percent jump in Sunday newspaper circulation, making it the largest in Utah and one of the fastest growing in the U.S., according to a report from the Audit Bureau of Circulation and a news release from the Newspaper Agency Corporation.
Sunday circulation rose to 176,096. The weekday circulation rose 32 percent year over year to 91,639. The Sunday increase makes Deseret News the third fastest growing paper in the U.S. with a circulation more than 100,000.
“Deseret News Sunday overall growth was driven by rapid growth in its national print reach along with its digital application usage,” said the Newspaper Agency Corporation in a statement.
At the Salt Lake Tribune, Sunday circulation rose by 10 percent to 135,550 while its weekday circulation fell 3 percent to 102,691.
"We are pleased with these results, especially at a time of declining circulation at many papers," said Christopher Lee, publisher of the Deseret News and vice president of Deseret Digital Media. "The real thanks goes to our loyal print subscribers in Utah and around the country, and to the growing digital audience on our apps and website."
In the Salt Lake market area, combined weekly print and monthly web readership for the Deseret News grew by 15 percent year over year, while the Salt Lake Tribune’s fell 10 percent.
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax
- Investigation underway after man's body found...
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 16
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 16
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12