Utah State football: Chuckie Keeton puts USU Aggies up 35-0 at half vs. Texas State
LOGAN — Welcome to the Chuckie Keeton show.
Utah State’s sophomore quarterback shredded Texas State’s defense, accounting for five touchdowns in the first half, en route to putting the Aggies up 35-0 at halftime.
Keeton went into the locker room 13 of 15 for 211 yards and four touchdown passes to four different receivers. Keeton accounted for the other touchdown with his legs, adding 37 yards rushing and a score to his totals. His only two incompletions came on a dropped pass and on a throwaway to avoid a sack.
On the other side of the ball, it was more of the same for the Aggie defense. The Bobcats threatened to score on their first drive of the game before cornerback Will Davis intercepted the ball in the end zone. After that Texas State never seriously threatened again and was held to just 128 yards of total offense. Utah State has allowed just six points in the first quarter all season and 45 total points in the first half.
The Aggies can earn their first eight-win season since 1974 by holding on to the lead in the second half.
Kraig is a 2010 Utah State University graduate and regular Deseret News sports blogger. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or followed on Twitter at DesNewsKraig.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- Skyler Halford helps key BYU's late-season...
- Layton steps up big late to secure a 48-46...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars held...
- High school boys basketball: Pine View wins...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 84
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 79
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29