Man killed while target shooting with family members
FAIRFIELD — A 24-year-old Salt Lake City man was accidentally shot and killed while target shooting Saturday afternoon with family members.
Joshua Pratt Hooper was target shooting in Manning Canyon in the Oquirrh Mountains in west Utah County with three other family members when a rifle being held by another family member appears to have unexpectedly fired according to Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon.
A person who was preparing to take a shot had an "unexpected incident" and accidentally shot one of the other members of the group, he said.
According to the Utah County Sheriff's office there doesn't appear to be anything suspicious about the circumstances and Hooper's death appears to be because of the rifle firing unexpectedly.
Hooper's body was taken to the Office of the Medical Examiner in Salt Lake.
Contributing: Jeff Finley
- Worth 1,000 words: Here's a look at the top...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Photos: Thrill seekers take on stunt-filled 5K
- First prison relocation open house... 39
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 29
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 20
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 14
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 14