Man killed while target shooting with family members
FAIRFIELD — A 24-year-old Salt Lake City man was accidentally shot and killed while target shooting Saturday afternoon with family members.
Joshua Pratt Hooper was target shooting in Manning Canyon in the Oquirrh Mountains in west Utah County with three other family members when a rifle being held by another family member appears to have unexpectedly fired according to Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon.
A person who was preparing to take a shot had an "unexpected incident" and accidentally shot one of the other members of the group, he said.
According to the Utah County Sheriff's office there doesn't appear to be anything suspicious about the circumstances and Hooper's death appears to be because of the rifle firing unexpectedly.
Hooper's body was taken to the Office of the Medical Examiner in Salt Lake.
Contributing: Jeff Finley
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- UVU now the largest university in Utah, new...
- Most wanted fugitive arrested in West Valley...
- Vernal woman takes plea deal in child abuse case
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes...
- Thousands get in on blue foam craze for...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 58
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 41
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 32
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 24
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17