FAIRFIELD — A 24-year-old Salt Lake City man was accidentally shot and killed while target shooting Saturday afternoon with family members.
Joshua Pratt Hooper was target shooting in Manning Canyon in the Oquirrh Mountains in west Utah County with three other family members when a rifle being held by another family member appears to have unexpectedly fired according to Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon.
A person who was preparing to take a shot had an "unexpected incident" and accidentally shot one of the other members of the group, he said.
According to the Utah County Sheriff's office there doesn't appear to be anything suspicious about the circumstances and Hooper's death appears to be because of the rifle firing unexpectedly.
Hooper's body was taken to the Office of the Medical Examiner in Salt Lake.
Contributing: Jeff Finley
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in...
- As winter takes hold, needs increase for...
- Orem man accused of killing wife threatened...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- December storms boost Utah's snowpack
- Swallow committee winding down as Attorney...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 110
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 27
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 23
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 22