UVU volleyball: Regan Benson, Lauren Sack named GWC players of the year
Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
UVU also had four players named First Team All-Conference and two more named to the second team. Sophomore midfielder Lexi Robison and junior defender Lexi Dunn joined Benson and Sack on the First Team ticket while junior midfielder Haley Curtis and senior defender Kelsey Cook received second team honors.
"This is a great honor from the conference to have so many of our girls recognized," said head coach Brent Anderson, who also collected his fourth consecutive Coach of the Year award Friday night. "Regan has had an excellent year and Lauren has played very well in goal and our defense has played well in front of her. I hope this recognition motivates the girls and propels them to perform in the tournament."
Benson, a senior from Mesa, Ariz., led the GWC with nine goals and 22 points. Four of her goals came in conference play, including a two-goal, two-assist performance in the regular season finale against Delaware State. A First Team All-Conference member a year ago, Benson made a return to that list in 2012. She was also named the 2011 GWC Tournament MVP.
Sack, a native of Reno, Nev., took home her second straight Defensive Player of the Year honor as the junior goalkeeper also received the award in 2011. She allowed just one goal and posted a .944 save percentage in GWC play this season. Sack has recorded 70 saves on the season and a 1.41 goals against average.
Anderson, who was named the West Division Coach of the Year in 2009 and 2010 before garnering conference Coach of the Year honors last year, led UVU to a perfect 5-0-0 record in conference play and the team's second straight GWC Regular Season title.
The 2012 GWC Tournament gets underway Saturday afternoon in Orem. As the top seed, UVU has an opening round bye and will play either NJIT or Howard in the tournament semifinals Sunday at 7 p.m. at Clyde Field.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at No. 3...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Cougars take center stage...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 5A boys state tournament roundup: Layton...
- Layton steps up big late to secure a 48-46...
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 36
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 25