"MY HOME PHARMACY: How Foods and Herbs Can Be Your Medicine," by Tracy Gibbs, Woodland Publishing, $9.95, 167 pages (nf)
Passed down from one generation to the next, herbs, plants and other natural remedies have been used for thousands of years to promote healing. With the development of modern medicine, some of those worthwhile traditions have faded from common knowledge. These are included in this informative and easy-to read book.
In "My Home Pharmacy: How Foods and Herbs Can Be Your Medicine," author Tracy Gibbs has drawn on "tried and true recipes used in his own family as well as remedies learned from local healers, naturopathic doctors and researchers worldwide."
Did you know crushed garlic, chopped lemongrass, oregano oil and raw honey in apple juice make a natural antibiotic for a cold or fever? Or peppermint leaves, raw honey and a slice of lemon in water or juice can help colic? Or that one cup of oatmeal cooked and eaten every two hours can be a natural treatment for diarrhea?
Gibbs includes step-by-step instructions on how to prepare proven treatments for more than 30 common health concerns and illnesses, including a list of 15 easily obtainable herbs and food items no home should be without.
Gibbs has an extensive background in pharmacognosy, the study of medicines derived from natural sources. He studied chemistry, hematology and botanical medicine in Japan.
Gibbs has lectured worldwide on the clinical applications of herbal medicine and operates herbal medicine schools in Japan and the U.S. where students can learn how to use herbs in everyday situations. He's authored several books and is the co-owner and chief formulator for NutraNomics, Inc., a Salt Lake City-based corporation that specializes in the research and development of nutritional supplements and herbal products.
If you go ...
What: Home remedies demonstration with Tracy Gibbs
When: Thursday, Nov. 8, 7 p.m.
Where: The King's English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes'
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- First look at modernized 'Annie' produced by...
- Book review: Brandon Sanderson's 'Words of...
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 49
- 'Son of God' is strong on production,... 20
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 19
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Our love-hate... 11
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are... 11
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 9
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes' 6
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance... 5