BYU basketball: Cougars to take on Findlay Saturday in preseason finale
PROVO — The BYU men’s basketball team will take on Findlay at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Marriott Center in its final preseason game.
The Cougars opened up the preseason with a 103-57 victory over Southeastern Oklahoma State last Friday. That game was the first opportunity for the team’s newcomers to play against another team, and they largely responded well with JC transfer Raul Delgado providing nine points with true freshman Cory Calvert chipping in another eight points. The team was led by Brandon Davies, and his 25 points in only 18 minutes of play with wing players Brock Zylstra and Tyler Haws adding 17 and 15 points respectively.
Findlay is a Division II team out of Ohio that is coming off of a 77-58 loss to Dayton last week. Its two starting forwards, Jake Heagen and Greg Kahlig, led the scoring for the Oilers in the loss with 14 and 13 points respectively. Findlay finished with a 24-7 record last season and advanced to the second round of the Division II NCAA tournament.
BYU coach Dave Rose will use the final preseason game to further identify which players will start this season, along with identifying roles for each player on the roster. Rose went with a starting lineup of Davies, Tyler Haws, Josh Sharp, Craig Cusick and Matt Carlino against Southeastern Oklahoma State.
The team opens the regular season in the Coaches vs. Cancer tournament and will first play Tennessee State in the Marriott Center on Nov. 9.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- BYU rugby cruises past Central Washington,...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 26
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 15
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 14