USU soccer: Aggies to face Seattle U on Friday in WAC Tournament Semifinals
Top-seeded Utah State soccer will begin action at the Western Athletic Conference Tournament on Friday, Nov. 2, taking on fifth-seeded Seattle at Chuck and Gloria Bell Soccer Field at 2:30 p.m.
Seattle U reached the semifinals after a 2-1 win over fourth-seeded Louisiana Tech on Thursday. Seattle scored its first goal off of an own goal. The Redhawks scored the game-winner in the 61st minute when Stephanie Verdoia took a Mary Hill free kick and deposited the header in the back of the net.
As this is the Redhawks first season in the WAC, they are playing in their first WAC Tournament and improved to 9-8-2 on the year with Thursday's win. With a 2-1 overtime win against Seattle on Oct. 12, the Aggies are now 2-1 against Seattle all-time.
Stephanie Verdoia continues to lead the team in scoring with nine goals and one assist for 19 points, which puts her in the top 10 in the conference. Brianna Smallidge has seen the bulk of time in goal for the Redhawks. She has started 17 matches, allowing 20 goals for a 1.13 GAA. She has a 7-7-2 record this season.
In the other quarterfinal, third-seeded Texas State needed overtime to top sixth-seeded Idaho, 2-1. The Bobcats will now face second-seeded Denver in the first semifinal on Friday.
Utah State has never faced Seattle in the WAC Tournament. USU has also never faced Louisiana Tech in the conference tournament.
The Aggies are 4-6 in the WAC Tournament in seven tournaments. Of the 10 matches that USU has played in the WAC Tournament, the only two teams that are still in the WAC are Idaho and San Jose State.
GameTracker and live streaming will be available for all five matches. All five matches can be seen on WAC.tv by accessing the soccer tournament package for a one-time price of $10.95.
Tickets for the 2012 WAC Soccer Tournament can be purchased as either an all-session pass or as single-session tickets. A single session ticket allows access to one day's worth of matches. All tickets are for general admission seating.
To purchase WAC Soccer Tournament Tickets contact the Utah State ticket office at 1-888-UState-1 (1-888-878-2831).
Fans can also vote for USU senior defender Natalie Norris for the 2012 Senior CLASS Award in collegiate soccer, as the Aggie player is just one of 10 NCAA women's soccer student-athletes who excels both on and off the field that were selected as finalists for the award.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but plenty of...
- No stranger to struggle: Cottonwood's Cooper...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with one-year...
- BYU men's volleyball: Cougars trounce the...
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep Utah...
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating from...
- Utah football: Ute offense shines in...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 62
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 58
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 56
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters... 24
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 18
- Brad Rock: Jazz: Sign Gordon Hayward to... 17
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 17
- Utah Jazz: Trey Burke scores career... 15