Matthew Stewart planned to 'go out shooting' if police came, ex-girlfriend testifies
Judge orders him to stand trial for capital murder in officer's death
While Ogden police officer Tyler Crouch was the only officer who identified Stewart as the shooter, Hyde said there was a reasonable inference that Stewart was the gunman the police officers described. Among other things, the judge pointed to the ballistics evidence.
Stewart's family has called the entire incident a "tragic misunderstanding" and believes he is being "made a scapegoat for violent mistakes and procedures of the police."
"The outcome is what we expected," sister-in-law Erna Stewart said after the hearing Friday. "We got what we wanted out of it."
Stewart is scheduled to be arraigned Wednesday on charges of aggravated murder, a capital offense; seven counts of attempted aggravated murder, a first-degree felony; and production of a controlled substance, a second-degree felony.
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite...
- Graphic video shows 7 shots fired without...
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Judge orders girl to stand trial for...
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases on...
- Husband says he didn't know about wife's...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 104
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 75
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 74
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 60
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 43
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24