The security of a stable and healthy marriage provides the sanity and decompression that is necessary to functioning in such a stressful world, Sharon O'Neille, a 30-year licensed marriage and family therapist in Mount Kisco, N.Y., wrote in an email to the Deseret News.
The benefits of marriage go beyond the individual level, Lesli Doares, author of "Blueprint for a Lasting Marriage: How to Create Your Happily Ever After With More Intention, Less Work," said. Strong and healthy marriages provide a stable, secure base for children. "The more secure the child, the greater rewards for society as a whole in reduced violence, poverty, substance abuse, etc."
Since 1960, the poverty rates are lower in two-parent families than in single-mother families, according to The Future of Children, a research-oriented collaboration between the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs at Princeton University and the Brookings Institution.
"The post-1960 changes in marriage and family formation also appear to be depriving children of such documented benefits of marriage as better physical and emotional health and greater socioeconomic attainment," The Future of Children found.
Rachel Lowry is a reporter intern for the Deseret News. She has lived in London and is an English graduate from Brigham Young University. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.rachellowry.blogspot.com.
- Viral video: Mom gives 3-year-old a chance to...
- 'The Avengers' was almost rated R
- Why breastfed babies are so smart
- Steve Eaton: Rare purchase on eBay brings...
- Affirming same-sex marriage would be...
- Teen with traumatic brain injury making...
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why we...
- Value Speak: The real St. Patrick's Day
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why... 31
- 'Noah' banned in three countries weeks... 23
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: Save the world,... 11
- Expose kids to diversity 7
- Target apologizes, takes down images of... 6
- Is 'The Lego Movie' anti-capitalist? 6
- Why breastfed babies are so smart 6
- Boys suffering from body image concerns 4