Nam Y. Huh, AP
PROVO, Utah – Sophomore Ashley Garfield scored 15 points and grabbed 10 rebounds to lead the BYU women's basketball team to a 89-51 victory over Chadron State in an exhibition game on Thursday night at the Marriott Center.
“Garfield had a great game and she’s played like that in practice, so it’s no surprise,” head coach Jeff Judkins said. “We’ve got to keep working on some things, but I was happy with the way our younger players played, especially in the second half.”
Chadron State scored the first two points of the game. BYU then answered with an 18-0 run and never looked back.
Two other Cougars scored in double figures, but it was their team defense which controlled the pace of the game. BYU executed a full-court press very early in the game, forced 31 turnovers and held Chadron State to 24.6 percent shooting.
Offensively, BYU held the advantage in points in the paint, 52-8. Sophomore Lexi Eaton, last year’s second leading scorer, didn’t convert a field goal until the second half, but she chipped in 10 points and three rebounds. Eaton sparked a 10-0 run with three layups and a jumper at the start of the second half.
The Cougars also distributed the ball well as they dominated in the assist column, 28-5.
Coach Judkins rotated through 14 different players in the first half. Haley Steed led BYU with 10 points in the half on 4-for-5 shooting, including 2-for-2 from three after one half of play.
BYU will host a second exhibition game this week as Dixie State comes to Provo on Friday. Tip-off is at 7 p.m. and admission is free.
Aaron Sorenson is a sports information director at BYU.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 24
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22