Nam Y. Huh, AP
PROVO, Utah – Sophomore Ashley Garfield scored 15 points and grabbed 10 rebounds to lead the BYU women's basketball team to a 89-51 victory over Chadron State in an exhibition game on Thursday night at the Marriott Center.
“Garfield had a great game and she’s played like that in practice, so it’s no surprise,” head coach Jeff Judkins said. “We’ve got to keep working on some things, but I was happy with the way our younger players played, especially in the second half.”
Chadron State scored the first two points of the game. BYU then answered with an 18-0 run and never looked back.
Two other Cougars scored in double figures, but it was their team defense which controlled the pace of the game. BYU executed a full-court press very early in the game, forced 31 turnovers and held Chadron State to 24.6 percent shooting.
Offensively, BYU held the advantage in points in the paint, 52-8. Sophomore Lexi Eaton, last year’s second leading scorer, didn’t convert a field goal until the second half, but she chipped in 10 points and three rebounds. Eaton sparked a 10-0 run with three layups and a jumper at the start of the second half.
The Cougars also distributed the ball well as they dominated in the assist column, 28-5.
Coach Judkins rotated through 14 different players in the first half. Haley Steed led BYU with 10 points in the half on 4-for-5 shooting, including 2-for-2 from three after one half of play.
BYU will host a second exhibition game this week as Dixie State comes to Provo on Friday. Tip-off is at 7 p.m. and admission is free.
Aaron Sorenson is a sports information director at BYU.
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- NFL playoff picture: Can the Lions, with...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30