Pianist William Joseph's 'Be Still: A Collection of Beloved Hymns' encourages listeners to slow down
Mormon pianist William Joseph’s talents and abilities have taken him on tour with Josh Groban while opening for many others in performances across the U.S., Canada, Europe and Australia. David Foster helped co-produce Joseph’s CDs “Within” and “Beyond” that included original music designed to be played in a concert hall.
In “Be Still,” Joseph takes a gentler approach with a dozen religious songs, including familiar songs in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints hymnbook.
Each song, including “Come Thou Font,” “Be Still, My Soul,” "Nearer My God to Thee,” “Jesus Once of Humble Birth” and “How Great Thou Art,” quietly encourages a calming stillness.
LDS violinist Jenny Oaks Baker joins Joseph for a duet on “I Know That My Redeemer Lives.”
Other songs include an arrangement of “God Be With You” interwoven with “He is Risen,” and religious hymns “A New Day,” “I Rest in You,” “With Royal Praise” and “Amazing Grace.”
The Phoenix native also has an arrangement of “Silent Night.”
Joseph was 5 years old when he started writing solos for the piano and later, he won a scholarship to study with Russian pianist Stella Saperstein, who has settled in the Phoenix area.
Joseph says he hopes listeners will “turn off all the noise and just listen, and be still.” And this collection of sacred music encourages just that.
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm headed to...
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the time to...
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did not win'...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 102
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 58
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 22
- Space and religion: How believers view... 19
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 13
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did... 9
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 8
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the... 8