SANDY HILLS — Police were searching Thursday for a man who may have tried to abduct a child.
Around 8 a.m., a 9-year-old girl was walking to school near 1575 E. 8480 South when a man in a dark minivan pulled up alongside her. The man got out of the vehicle and grabbed the girl's arm, but let go after she kicked him in the knee, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal. The man then grabbed the girl again, but let go after she elbowed him in the stomach.
Hoyal said the girl was able to run away, at which point the man got back in his van and fled the area. The girl arrived at school and told her friends of the attempted abduction. They then got the assistance of a teacher who contacted police.
The man is described as a white man in his late 20s or early 30s with shoulder-length brown hair. The victim also told police that he was wearing white sunglasses, a red beanie, a black hoodie, black sweatpants and black and white shoes.
Anyone with information on the man's identity, or who may have seen anything suspicious in the area, is asked to contact Unified police.
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Inmate charged with sending threatening...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 68
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15
- Lawmakers hear support for Medicaid... 15