SANDY HILLS — Police were searching Thursday for a man who may have tried to abduct a child.
Around 8 a.m., a 9-year-old girl was walking to school near 1575 E. 8480 South when a man in a dark minivan pulled up alongside her. The man got out of the vehicle and grabbed the girl's arm, but let go after she kicked him in the knee, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal. The man then grabbed the girl again, but let go after she elbowed him in the stomach.
Hoyal said the girl was able to run away, at which point the man got back in his van and fled the area. The girl arrived at school and told her friends of the attempted abduction. They then got the assistance of a teacher who contacted police.
The man is described as a white man in his late 20s or early 30s with shoulder-length brown hair. The victim also told police that he was wearing white sunglasses, a red beanie, a black hoodie, black sweatpants and black and white shoes.
Anyone with information on the man's identity, or who may have seen anything suspicious in the area, is asked to contact Unified police.
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Film about man's crusade against child sex...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 90
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 78
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 14