Senate candidate Scott Howell to apologize for robocalls with pancakes
Rick Bowmer, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — The pancakes Friday will be on Senate candidate Scott Howell.
Howell is holding the free breakfast to apologize to residents who received a 6 a.m. machine-generated telephone call from his campaign on Tuesday.
"We'd like to invite everybody we annoyed and everybody who wishes we had annoyed them," said campaign spokesman Paul Pugmire.
The pancake breakfast will be at Herm's Inn, 1435 E. Canyon Road, in Logan from 8 to 10 a.m. Most of the calls went to the Logan area.
The campaign blamed Hurricane Sandy for Utahns being awakened to Howell's voice seeking their vote. The Salt Lake Democrat is challenging longtime Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch.
A New York-based company had 127,000 robocalls queued up in its computer system when the East Coast superstorm Sandy forced workers to evacuate. They weren't able to double-check the system before the calls started going out three hours earlier than planned.
"America needs a wake-up call but not from a machine at 6 o'clock," Pugmire said.
About 3,800 calls went out, mostly to 435 area codes in Logan, before the Howell campaign could get the system shut down.
"We really feel terrible about it," Pugmire said. "It's not something we wanted to do. It's a perfect storm, literally, of events."
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 37
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11
- Cheerleaders for Medicaid expansion ask... 9