Senate candidate Scott Howell to apologize for robocalls with pancakes
Rick Bowmer, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — The pancakes Friday will be on Senate candidate Scott Howell.
Howell is holding the free breakfast to apologize to residents who received a 6 a.m. machine-generated telephone call from his campaign on Tuesday.
"We'd like to invite everybody we annoyed and everybody who wishes we had annoyed them," said campaign spokesman Paul Pugmire.
The pancake breakfast will be at Herm's Inn, 1435 E. Canyon Road, in Logan from 8 to 10 a.m. Most of the calls went to the Logan area.
The campaign blamed Hurricane Sandy for Utahns being awakened to Howell's voice seeking their vote. The Salt Lake Democrat is challenging longtime Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch.
A New York-based company had 127,000 robocalls queued up in its computer system when the East Coast superstorm Sandy forced workers to evacuate. They weren't able to double-check the system before the calls started going out three hours earlier than planned.
"America needs a wake-up call but not from a machine at 6 o'clock," Pugmire said.
About 3,800 calls went out, mostly to 435 area codes in Logan, before the Howell campaign could get the system shut down.
"We really feel terrible about it," Pugmire said. "It's not something we wanted to do. It's a perfect storm, literally, of events."
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Bus driver charged in death of 10-year-old...
- Mother and son charged in drive-by shooting...
- A parent's worst nightmare: When a fever...
- Family of slain 18-year-old pleads for...
- Body cameras have played roles in 2...
- Litter left by target shooters in Hobble...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 89
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 52
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 46
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 40
- Granite School District reaches... 22
- New poll shows more support for Sen.... 20
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 16