Utah Film Center to present Peek Award to Carrie Fisher
The Utah Film Center will honor Carrie Fisher, the actress most known for her role as Princess Leia in the original "Star Wars" trilogy, with this year's Peek Award for Disability in Media, Nov. 9 at 7:30 p.m. as part of an "Evening with Carrie Fisher" at the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center.
The Academy Award-winning screenwriter of "Rain Man," Barry Morrow, will present the award, which is in honor of Salt Lake City native Kim Peek, who passed away in 2009.
Fisher, who was diagnosed with bipolar II disorder and has struggled with the illness her entire life, will give the keynote address, followed by an onstage interview with KUER RadioWest's host Doug Fabrizio, according to a news release.
She will also be in the lobby after the address to sign books for all ticket holders.
The Peek Award annually honors an actor, filmmaker or subject of a film who is positively impacting society's perceptions of persons with disabilities. The film center chose Fisher for her dedication to increase education, awareness and research about mental illness and to dispel the stigma and stereotype associated with it by sharing her own story.
A pre-reception will take place at Valter's Osteria (the old Metropolitan) from 6 to 7 p.m., with the presentation following at 7:30 p.m. at Rose Wagner.
Tickets to the event are $50 per person for the presentation and $150 for the pre-reception and the presentation. Tickets can be purchased at www.arttix.org.
For more information visit www.utahfilmcenter.org
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- 11 movies to watch out for this fall
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at opponents
- Miss New York chosen as Miss America 2015
- The changing definition of 'TV': What parents...
- When it comes to TV's future, Millennials...
- Miss America: More to worry about than red cup
- Vikings reinstate Peterson despite abuse charge
- The changing definition of 'TV': What... 13
- NFL to look into its handling of Rice case 8
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 4
- Former NFL QB Scott Mitchell goes on... 2
- Miss New York chosen as Miss America 2015 1
- Vikings reinstate Peterson despite... 1
- When it comes to TV's future,... 1