Don’t sacrifice good for perfect. While officials will tell you that ongoing foster families are what they really need, the bond between pet and person during the storm will likely result in 30-40 permanent adoptions. For the animals saved and the families who now parent them, that is a wonderful outcome. Year round, DCSPCA fosters adopt 1-2 animals each week. That is still an additional 50-100 animals saved each year.
Connect donors and volunteers with anecdote, not data. From a managerial perspective, metrics are critical. The DCSPCA exceeded its goal of placing 2,800 animals in permanent homes last year and is chasing a goal of 3,100 this year. That is a powerful impact. But for contributors of time, talent or treasure, the numbers are too big and success in the abstract can work against your goals. The most gut wrenching stories of abuse, neglect, survival and perseverance are what the organization promotes through all media outlets. As Calgiano said, “Each story is an animal right here in their community that they can help, and the number and volume of gifts we receive for one animal based on their story and photo can be overwhelming these gifts include cash, toys, even handmade blankets!” It is these individual stories that volunteers rush to save and support during an emergency.
Partner with other nonprofits and businesses. While DCSPCA pays veterinarians, it receives volunteer care from local schools with veterinary tech programs and also boosts its success by working with a local pet supply store in placing up to ten cats per week in permanent homes through off-site adoption.
John J. Brady is the Chief Operating Officer of HigherNext, Inc. With 20 years in the education sector, he writes on matters of higher education, transitions into college and career, non-profit management and standardized testing. JB@highernext.com
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Plan to simplify 2015 health renewals may...
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience
- Does getting married really increase wealth...
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 18
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 12
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 9
- Does getting married really increase... 8
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 8
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 8
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- 3 ways you can save money on movie... 3