Jen Pilgreen, Deseret News
HOLLADAY — One week after going missing and three days after volunteer searches were suspended, the body of Fritz Helland was located Wednesday by hikers in Neffs Canyon.
Salt Lake County Sheriff Jim Winder said the body was found approximately 1.5 miles from the mouth of the canyon in a creek bed. Police believe the 80-year-old Helland died after sustaining a fall on steep terrain.
Helland was last heard from on Oct. 24, when he called his daughter and said he was on his way home from a walk with his dog. The man was known to walk his dog near the canyon and after he failed to return home more than 1,800 volunteers from the neighborhood assisted authorities in searching the area over the weekend.
"The family wanted me to relay specifically to the citizens of this community just how much they appreciated the incredible efforts over the last several days," Winder said. "They are of course very grateful for the closure and we have mixed emotions. We're glad that he has been discovered and we're very sad that he has been found deceased."
Winder said the body of Helland's dog was also discovered nearby. He said it appeared that Helland and the animal had both fallen from an incline off of the canyon trail and died together as a result of their injuries.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Woman accused of leaving young son outside...
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- Lawmaker's proposal would offer free tuition...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 34
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 22