BYU golf: eighth place finish at Rainbow Wahine Invitational
WAHIAWA, Hawaii – The BYU women’s golf team shot its lowest score during the final round of the Rainbow Wahine Invitational to finish in eighth place on Wednesday.
Led by sophomore Lauren Atkinson, the Cougars shot a final round 302 (+14) to finish the 54-hole tournament with a total team score of 920 (+56).
“The girls came together and set a goal to shoot their best score for the tournament during that last round and came together and did it,” BYU head coach Carrie Roberts said. “It was a good way to end shooting a pretty good last round.”
Atkinson shot three birdies on the day to finish with a final round even-par 72, her lowest round of the fall season. She finished the tournament tied for 33rd with a 54-total 232 (+16).
“It’s a very team oriented group of girls and Lauren just really wanted to make sure she contributed to reaching our goal today,” Roberts said. “It was her focus today just hitting the middle of the greens and it worked well for her.”
Freshman Lea Garner had her best round of the tournament, converting three birdies and shooting a three-over-par 75, while junior Selu Fotu shot a four-over-par 76. Senior Amanda Keith shot a final round 79 (+7), finishing the tournament tied for 21st with a 54-hole total 228 (+12).
The Cougars will resume tournament play on February 11th at the Long Beach Invitational in Yorba Linda, Calif., where they will look to capitalize on their fall season experience.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- 2015 BYU Commits
- Dick Harmon: College football recruiters are...
- 2015 Utah Football Commits
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 79
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35