BYU golf: eighth place finish at Rainbow Wahine Invitational
WAHIAWA, Hawaii – The BYU women’s golf team shot its lowest score during the final round of the Rainbow Wahine Invitational to finish in eighth place on Wednesday.
Led by sophomore Lauren Atkinson, the Cougars shot a final round 302 (+14) to finish the 54-hole tournament with a total team score of 920 (+56).
“The girls came together and set a goal to shoot their best score for the tournament during that last round and came together and did it,” BYU head coach Carrie Roberts said. “It was a good way to end shooting a pretty good last round.”
Atkinson shot three birdies on the day to finish with a final round even-par 72, her lowest round of the fall season. She finished the tournament tied for 33rd with a 54-total 232 (+16).
“It’s a very team oriented group of girls and Lauren just really wanted to make sure she contributed to reaching our goal today,” Roberts said. “It was her focus today just hitting the middle of the greens and it worked well for her.”
Freshman Lea Garner had her best round of the tournament, converting three birdies and shooting a three-over-par 75, while junior Selu Fotu shot a four-over-par 76. Senior Amanda Keith shot a final round 79 (+7), finishing the tournament tied for 21st with a 54-hole total 228 (+12).
The Cougars will resume tournament play on February 11th at the Long Beach Invitational in Yorba Linda, Calif., where they will look to capitalize on their fall season experience.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 33
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 18