BYU golf: eighth place finish at Rainbow Wahine Invitational
WAHIAWA, Hawaii – The BYU women’s golf team shot its lowest score during the final round of the Rainbow Wahine Invitational to finish in eighth place on Wednesday.
Led by sophomore Lauren Atkinson, the Cougars shot a final round 302 (+14) to finish the 54-hole tournament with a total team score of 920 (+56).
“The girls came together and set a goal to shoot their best score for the tournament during that last round and came together and did it,” BYU head coach Carrie Roberts said. “It was a good way to end shooting a pretty good last round.”
Atkinson shot three birdies on the day to finish with a final round even-par 72, her lowest round of the fall season. She finished the tournament tied for 33rd with a 54-total 232 (+16).
“It’s a very team oriented group of girls and Lauren just really wanted to make sure she contributed to reaching our goal today,” Roberts said. “It was her focus today just hitting the middle of the greens and it worked well for her.”
Freshman Lea Garner had her best round of the tournament, converting three birdies and shooting a three-over-par 75, while junior Selu Fotu shot a four-over-par 76. Senior Amanda Keith shot a final round 79 (+7), finishing the tournament tied for 21st with a 54-hole total 228 (+12).
The Cougars will resume tournament play on February 11th at the Long Beach Invitational in Yorba Linda, Calif., where they will look to capitalize on their fall season experience.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at email@example.com
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta's season is...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 139
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 89
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 70
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29