Michael Alisa came into the 2012 football season as BYU's primary ball carrier. There was high hope for Alisa, as he showed flashes of a former BYU running back Harvey Unga last season.
Alisa played football at Timpview High School in Provo, where he earned second-team All-State honors and helped the Thunderbirds to an undefeated season and the 4A state championship in 2006.
Alisa also played linebacker for the T-birds, and early in his Cougar career, it looked like that would be his college position. As a freshman he played mostly on specal teams, recording 11 tackles.
But he moved to the Cougar offense as a sophomore, and by the end of the season Alisa was the starting running back. He tallied 455 rushing yards and 3 touchdowns in 2011 and entered 2012 as the top back on the BYU depth chart.
Unfortunately, Alisa suffered a season-ending arm injury in BYU's victory over Hawaii earlier this season.
Alisa's injury is a setback in his young career. However, Alisa is accustomed to adversity. Check out this BYUtv Sports video and learn about Alisa's journey from a clumsy youth athlete to the gridiron at LaVell Edwards Stadium.
Video: The story of BYU running back Michael Alisa
The journey of BYU running back Michael Alisa to the college gridiron.
Contact Gregory Rose at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow him on Twitter at @GRoseDDM.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 33
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32