The lack of electricity also impacts transportation, with traffic signals dark at every intersection. “New York drivers have a reputation for being really aggressive,” Calderwood said. “But people are being very patient and waiting their turn at the signals.”
For the most part, Calderwood said Latter-day Saints were well-prepared for the crisis, although he noted that “there isn’t a lot you can do to prevent your house from being blown away by hurricane-force winds.”
“We teach our people to be prepared,” he said. “But sometimes, we just have to be prepared to respond to whatever happens.”
As the missionaries reach out into the community at large, residents have been appreciative of the help.
“I’m glad our missionaries are young and strong,” Calderwood said. “If you haven’t tried to haul a soaking wet carpet out of a basement with two feet of water in it, you have no idea how filthy and back-breaking it can be. But the missionaries seem to be loving it. They are here to serve. They enjoy it. And the people have been really appreciative of what we are doing.”
And what they will continue to do for the foreseeable future.
“There is so much work to be done here – this isn’t something that’s going to be finished in a week or two,” Calderwood said. “And we’ll stay at it as long as we are needed. We are servants of the Lord Jesus Christ, and he tells us to love our neighbors.
“And right now, our neighbors need help.”
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Do you fit the Mormon...
- 'Saturday's Warrior' director shares details...
- Who decides if a law restricts a religious...
- Temple Square opens 3 new exhibits
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon...
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's...
- LDS missionaries cover David Archuleta's...
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon... 136
- Who decides if a law restricts a... 17
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Do you fit the... 12
- The Rohingyas: A look into one of the... 8
- 34 of the most beautiful churches from... 7
- 'Saturday's Warrior' director shares... 7
- Jerry Earl Johnston: I can't move the... 4
- About Utah: Reliving their great escape... 4