USU football: Kyler Fackrell added to College Football Performance Awards National Freshman Performer of the Year Watch List
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
Utah State football player Kyler Fackrell was one of four Football Bowl Subdivision players added to the College Football Performance Awards 2012 National Freshman Performer of the Year Watch List, it was announced Tuesday, bringing the Division I FBS watch list total to 32.
Fackrell joined Ole Miss linebacker Denzel Nkemdiche, Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson and Pittsburgh running back Rushel Shell as additions to the original list that was announced last week.
Fackrell joins teammate Jordan Nielsen, a defensive lineman, on the list to make the CFPA 2012 National Freshman Performer of the Year Watch List. In all, Utah State is one of just four FBS schools to have multiple players recognized along with Alabama, Georgia and TCU.
Facrkell, who is one of just three linebackers among the 32 players named to the Watch List, becomes the fourth Western Athletic Conference player named along with Louisiana Tech running back Kenneth Dixon, San Jose State placekicker Austin Lopez and USU’s Nielsen.
Fackrell, a 6-foot-5, 236-pound redshirt freshman linebacker from Mesa, Ariz. (Mesa HS), ranks tied for ninth in the WAC in interceptions (0.22) and 12th in the WAC in tackles (6.9 pg). Overall, he is fourth on the team with 62 tackles (18-solo, 44-assist) to go along with 4.5 tackles for loss, 2.0 sacks, two pass breakups, six quarterback hurries, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and one blocked kick.
Previous FBS recipients of the CFPA National Freshman Performer of the Year include Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller (2011), South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore (2010) and Oregon running back LaMichael James (2009).
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 48
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 44
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24