Officers recount the panic and the calm during Ogden shootout

Published: Wednesday, Oct. 31 2012 9:00 a.m. MDT

Zaccardi, who had undergone shoulder surgery, stayed outside the home. But he said he started yelling, "Police, search warrant" as soon as the door was opened. The agents were in two groups. One was assigned to the upstairs portion of the house and the other to the downstairs area. Grogan and two other officers went upstairs.

"I am yelling and announcing that we are police officers and that we have a search warrant," Grogan said. "I do that the entire way through the home until I post up on (the corner of the upstairs hallway)."

He said he paused to tell his fellow agents what he could see and then announced that he was approaching a room on the left with a door partially opened and a light on. He said he was walking toward the door, his gun drawn, but his finger was not on the trigger.

"I see the suspect's arm come around the door of the bedroom holding a firearm," Grogan said.

"Does that weapon fire?" prosecutor Christopher Shaw asked.


"Does it strike you?"

"It does."

Grogan was hit in the cheek. He returned fire and shot until his weapon emptied. When the shooting stopped, he said he made his way out of the home, where he found Zaccardi and asked him to take him to the hospital.

Prosecutors say Stewart fired repeatedly at the officers, striking Francom six times, killing him. Officer Kasey Burrell was hit at least twice. Hutchinson was shot several times as he tried to help his fellow officers. Vanderwarf was also shot in the hip.

Ogden police officer Michael Rounkles was shot twice after he arrived as backup and entered the house to help the wounded officers.

Stewart then "advanced on the officers as they were trying to evacuate the residence and continued firing at the officers as they moved away from the house toward Jackson Avenue," according to a police affidavit.

Ogden police officer Derek Draper testified Wednesday about the efforts he made to save his fellow officers. He said he was with Grogan in the hallway and saw the same gun in the opened door. He said he didn't immediately realize Grogan was shot, but said he opened fire when he realized their lives were in danger.

"I could feel the bullets going through my hair," he said, but he wasn't hit. "The hand moves. There's no longer a threat, the gun's not shooting at me anymore. (I realize) I'm in a dangerous part of the house. That's a kill zone, because there's no way to get out."

He jumped behind a wall into the kitchen and was soon followed by Grogan, who fell on top of him. Draper said he asked if Grogan was OK and the man moved his hand, revealing the wound in his cheek. His priority then became getting Grogan and the other officers out of the house.

"I remember seeing agent Burrell walk past me and I'm yelling, 'Get out,'" Draper said.

More help needed

Draper is able to get Grogan to Zaccardi and radios for more help. He sees Rounkles enter the home with a shotgun and, not long after, hears a sound, returns to the door and sees Rounkles on his back, bleeding.

"I had the radio still and I start to call, 'We got officers down, we need more officers,'" Draper said. "I can hear a gunfight taking place. It's just shots — boom boom boom. It's a gun battle."

Draper returns to the door twice more, finding first a wounded Burrell and then Francom and he said he pulled each man from the home. He places them in the street.

"(Francom) looks at me and he says, 'I'm shot. I'm hit bad. I need help,'" Draper testified. "He turned his head to the right and everything drained out of him."

Soon after a figure emerged from the front door and started to shoot at officers, Draper said. When the shooting stops, he helps move the men behind a police vehicle until the officers can be taken to the hospital.

Draper said they didn't think the home was occupied. He said he wasn't sure whether all the officers were wearing their bulletproof vests.

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere