OREM — Steven Gray, 43, remained in the Yakima County Jail Tuesday, awaiting extradition back to Utah to potentially be tried for murder.
Though he had not been officially charged as of Tuesday in Utah, investigators believe Gray killed his live-in girlfriend, 44-year-old Jennifer Brackenbury. Brackenbury's body was found in the trailer the couple shared, 155 S. 1200 West in Orem.
About 10 a.m. Friday, Gray went into the Yakima Police Department and asked to speak to a retired officer, according to a probable cause statement filed in Yakima County, Wash., Superior Court. Gray used to be an informant for the department, according to KNDO-TV.
Gray told the officer he left Utah "a few days ago" after seeing Brackenbury dead on the floor of their trailer, according to booking documents. Yakima police called Orem police who quickly went over to the trailer and confirmed the death.
During a subsequent interview, Gray said he took Brackenbury's car and drove to Yakima, where he used to live, and that the clothes he was wearing the day he last saw her were in the trunk along with some of Brackenbury's jewelry, according to court records.
Gray was arrested and booked into the Yakima County Jail for investigation of being a fugitive from justice and possession of a stolen vehicle.
In a subsequent interview, Gray admitted to stabbing Brackenbury multiple times, according to the probable cause statement.
KNDO reported that other court documents stated that Gray told detectives he cleaned up the blood and threw the knife in the kitchen sink before driving to Washington. Investigators say they have recovered the knife.
Orem police believe the killing may have happened between Oct. 20 and Oct. 23.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- As winter takes hold, needs increase for...
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Orem man accused of killing wife threatened...
- Police officer suicide needs to be addressed,...
- Snow wreaks havoc across state, curbs travel...
- System failure to blame for delayed Saturday...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 110
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 39
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 27
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 26
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 26
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 25
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18