10 ways to be safe while shopping online for the holiday season
Online shopping will hit record levels this year, meaning more hackers will attempt to compromise computers and even financial information, according to U.S. News.
Following is a list of 10 methods online shoppers can implement to stop their computer from getting a virus, or even having their financial data compromised.
1. Avoid websites with red flags, such as poor design, pop-up windows and weird Web addresses.
2. Don’t trust hyperlinks in an email. Type the Web addresses out of the companies you intend to visit. This eliminates the risk of accidentally visiting a scam site.
3. Shop secure sites. The addresses for these start out with https, not just http.
4. Never give out your Social Security number online.
5. Use a credit card. These have identity-theft protection that will reimburse your losses as long as you report the theft soon enough. Debit cards don’t have this protection. Check your account often for fraudulent charges.
6. Strengthen your passwords. If they are hard to remember, record them in a secure document. Good passwords have a mixture of numbers and letters.
7. Review your online shopping rights. If the product doesn’t ship on time, customers can cancel the order and get refunded.
8. Avoid using mobile devices to shop with a public wifi network. This broadcasts your information to hackers.
9. Ignore strangers trying to reach you online. Just like spam emails, fake social media accounts can compromise your computer. Ignore them.
10. Fake holiday eCards can also threaten your security. Only trust senders you know and make sure their email address is actually theirs.
- Young adults prefer to share chores and...
- Balancing act: Organizations slowly move...
- Dave Ramsey says: Make changes to save money
- Knocking doors: What to know before signing...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Michelle Singletary: Making personal finance...
- Business community supports tax increases for...
- Index indicates Utah economy thriving
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 60
- Utah has fourth largest gender wage... 12
- Are you part of the global 'baby... 12
- Greek radical left wins election,... 3
- Knocking doors: What to know before... 3
- US consumer confidence jumps to 7... 2
- Faith leaders: your secret weapon in... 2
- $2 gasoline: Good times keep rolling at... 1