10 ways to be safe while shopping online for the holiday season
Online shopping will hit record levels this year, meaning more hackers will attempt to compromise computers and even financial information, according to U.S. News.
Following is a list of 10 methods online shoppers can implement to stop their computer from getting a virus, or even having their financial data compromised.
1. Avoid websites with red flags, such as poor design, pop-up windows and weird Web addresses.
2. Don’t trust hyperlinks in an email. Type the Web addresses out of the companies you intend to visit. This eliminates the risk of accidentally visiting a scam site.
3. Shop secure sites. The addresses for these start out with https, not just http.
4. Never give out your Social Security number online.
5. Use a credit card. These have identity-theft protection that will reimburse your losses as long as you report the theft soon enough. Debit cards don’t have this protection. Check your account often for fraudulent charges.
6. Strengthen your passwords. If they are hard to remember, record them in a secure document. Good passwords have a mixture of numbers and letters.
7. Review your online shopping rights. If the product doesn’t ship on time, customers can cancel the order and get refunded.
8. Avoid using mobile devices to shop with a public wifi network. This broadcasts your information to hackers.
9. Ignore strangers trying to reach you online. Just like spam emails, fake social media accounts can compromise your computer. Ignore them.
10. Fake holiday eCards can also threaten your security. Only trust senders you know and make sure their email address is actually theirs.
- 10 things to know about corporate inversions
- 6 financial moves to prevent sleepless nights
- Amish country bristles at ‘Mafia’...
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid covering the...
- Varian Medical breaks ground on Salt Lake...
- Eagle Mountain votes to accept Rocky Mountain...
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top humor...
- Cantwell targets small business loan gender gap
- 10 things to know about corporate... 25
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid... 12
- Amish country bristles at... 10
- Mimicking the airlines, hotels get... 9
- Paul Mero steps down as head of... 9
- Burger King in talks to buy Tim Hortons 8
- California push to avert higher gas... 3
- Cantwell targets small business loan... 3