BYU football: Cougars lose a cornerback commit to Utes, but gain another
“She still had doubts when we came home from that first visit,” Trammell said. “She wanted to see it all for herself, so we went out there again the weekend that BYU played Utah State.”
Like a lot of other mothers, Melinda Trammell found BYU to be a place that would take good care of her son and help keep him out of trouble.
For Trammell, who already lives a life true to BYU’s honor code, BYU provides great opportunities to play immediately while gaining a good education and social environment.
“BYU is just a calm place and I love the outdoors atmosphere there,” Trammell said. “I love the outdoors and I’m excited to try out snowboarding and other things in the mountains there. The most important thing though is how I felt being with coaches and players there. I love the coaching staff and I’m already good friends with a lot of the players.”
Trammell specifically forged good friendships with Jordan Johnson, Joe Sampson and Preston Hadley. His father was actually Sampson’s position coach in high school, so there was some familiarity there.
For the entire Trammell family, there is already some good familiarity with Mormons due to living next door to an LDS family.
“I spent so much time next door with a Mormon family — the dad of that family was seriously like a second dad to me,” Trammell said. “I didn’t even know they were Mormon until my parents told me some years later — I just knew they were great people who lived right and all that. So yeah, I’m already used to being around Mormons.”
Trammell is on track to graduate following this semester and plans on enrolling at BYU in January. He’ll then have a leg up in his bid to start at boundary corner for the 2013 season.
“I’m very excited to get to BYU and hopefully I can help out right away,” Trammell said. “That defense is a fun defense and I watched how they played against Georgia Tech and other teams and it’s just a great defense. I’m very excited to play for coach Mendenhall and in a defense that is so good.”
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors continues to make...
- BYU offense looking to move the ball, put up...
- Dick Harmon: Only joy for BYU's Jordan...
- Gordon Hayward looks to get better at...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Kyle Whittingham just glad...
- Little offense as main players sit out Ute...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big year...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 95
- Ultimate football road trips:... 48
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 39
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 34
- BYU's basketball roster undergoing... 29
- BYU offense looking to move the ball,... 18
- Little offense as main players sit out... 17