“She still had doubts when we came home from that first visit,” Trammell said. “She wanted to see it all for herself, so we went out there again the weekend that BYU played Utah State.”
Like a lot of other mothers, Melinda Trammell found BYU to be a place that would take good care of her son and help keep him out of trouble.
For Trammell, who already lives a life true to BYU’s honor code, BYU provides great opportunities to play immediately while gaining a good education and social environment.
“BYU is just a calm place and I love the outdoors atmosphere there,” Trammell said. “I love the outdoors and I’m excited to try out snowboarding and other things in the mountains there. The most important thing though is how I felt being with coaches and players there. I love the coaching staff and I’m already good friends with a lot of the players.”
Trammell specifically forged good friendships with Jordan Johnson, Joe Sampson and Preston Hadley. His father was actually Sampson’s position coach in high school, so there was some familiarity there.
For the entire Trammell family, there is already some good familiarity with Mormons due to living next door to an LDS family.
“I spent so much time next door with a Mormon family — the dad of that family was seriously like a second dad to me,” Trammell said. “I didn’t even know they were Mormon until my parents told me some years later — I just knew they were great people who lived right and all that. So yeah, I’m already used to being around Mormons.”
Trammell is on track to graduate following this semester and plans on enrolling at BYU in January. He’ll then have a leg up in his bid to start at boundary corner for the 2013 season.
“I’m very excited to get to BYU and hopefully I can help out right away,” Trammell said. “That defense is a fun defense and I watched how they played against Georgia Tech and other teams and it’s just a great defense. I’m very excited to play for coach Mendenhall and in a defense that is so good.”
- High school football: Reigning Mr. Football...
- Dick Harmon: Bronco Mendenhall and Cecil O....
- Ready to roll: US national soccer team ready...
- Brad Rock: Taking American soccer to heart
- BYU football: Cougars must secure their own...
- Twitter reaction: U.S. men's soccer team...
- Utah Jazz: Massive, state-of-the-art...
- Utah Jazz: Possible Jazz draftee Michael...
- BYU football: Cougars must secure their... 158
- High school football: Reigning Mr.... 54
- Dick Harmon: Bronco Mendenhall and... 30
- Phil Steele ranks USU 2nd-most... 28
- Teen's family apologizes to family of... 21
- Utes basketball: Utah conducting... 19
- Austin Collie's workout with San... 18
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Unprecedented... 18