WEST VALLEY CITY — A man wanted in California was arrested Friday after police said he tried to attack a police officer with a knife during a drug investigation.
West Valley police narcotics detectives were investigating a house for drug trafficking Friday when they were invited into the house by the homeowner. Inside they met Terry Kyle Christiansen who, originally identified himself as Travis Christiansen, police said.
When officers started to question Christiansen about the supposed drug activity, he appeared nervous and began grabbing at his pants pockets, police said.
Christiansen then allegedly bolted forward, holding a knife in his right hand and what appeared to be a glass vial in his left. He swung the knife at one of the detectives, attempting to strike him in the chest and neck, police said. The detective defended himself with his arms and received a cut to his thumb.
Police say Christiansen swung at the detective with the knife two more times before hitting a door frame and dropping the weapon. He then attempted to dispose of the glass vial in the toilet, police said.
Officers were able to take Christiansen into custody after wrestling him to the floor. Residue in the glass vial tested positive for methamphetamine, police said.
West Valley Police Lt. Mike Coleman said Christiansen was arrested for investigation of attempted aggravated murder and possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute.
Coleman said Christiansen is wanted in California on a parole violation. He said it was not yet clear whether Christiansen would be extradited to California, or if he would be held in West Valley City to face charges related to Friday's incident.
Christiansen later admitted to being high on methamphetamine while police were at the house, but he denied having a knife, police said. The man told officers he was just trying to get away from the detectives.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer for...
- Police: ICU evacuated after man barricades...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 94
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena... 11
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8
- Brother, sister hugged each other as... 8
- Prosecutors say Jeremy Johnson should... 7