Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
A celebration filled with ancient legends from many different cultures through narration, music and dance was held in the LDS Conference Center this past weekend.
The production, titled "Luz de las Naciones: Sus Promesas" (in English "Light of the Nations: His Promises"), shared different yet similar legends of a great white god. More than 1,500 local performers and volunteers took part in remembering when ancient civilizations of the new world witnessed Christ's coming to the Americas, as told in the Book of Mormon.
Children and adult performers entertained the crowd with dances and songs. Young children could be found swaying back and forth to the music and clapping their hands with excitement.
Once the legends were told, a performer playing the role of Joseph Smith came on stage and talked about the coming forth of the Book of Mormon. With an added song and re-enactment of Nephi engraving on the golden plates, Joseph Smith was then handed the plates and translated them into the Book of Mormon.
Before a final song, the performance ended with these words:
"The Savior of the World, Jesus Christ, truly did come to our ancestors. He blessed them and promised that he would return again."
Kylie Lewis is an intern for the Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and other feature articles. She recently graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho, receiving her bachelor's in communications.
- Judge: Biological father will share custody...
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Senate committee snuffs out e-cigarettes...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- House, Senate still struggling over budget
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 55
- National, local businesses file briefs... 53
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 40
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Attempt to raise minimum wage in Utah... 31
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 19
- Prison relocation resolution passes House 18