BYU golf: Four Cougars in top ten, BYU in third place after day one
STOCKTON, Calif. – The BYU’s men’s golf team stands in third place, only one stroke behind first place Kansas State and Pacific after a strong first round at the Pacific Invitational, Monday.
In a complete team effort, the Cougars shot an opening round 275 (-13) with four golfers shooting under-par on the day.
“Everyone of our guys played extremely well the last three holes to get back into contention,” head coach Bruce Brockbank said. “It was a great finish from the guys.”
Sophomore Devon Purser led the team shooting a four-under-par 68 and stands tied for sixth place on the individual leaderboard. Purser struggled midway through the round, shooting two bogeys on holes 12 and 13, before converting two birdies and an eagle during his final three holes.
Seniors Zac Blair and Adam Tebbs and Junior Justin Keiley also had strong days, each finishing the first round with a three-under-par 69. Blair and Tebbs both shot five birdies, while Keiley finished the day with three birdies. Blair, Tebbs and Keiley all stand tied for ninth place on the individual leaderboard.
The Cougars will look to continue their consistent play tomorrow at 8:50 a.m. PDT before competing in round three Wednesday. Live stats of tournament action at Brookside Country Club can be followed at golfstat.com.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 82
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32