Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A cycling organization has recognized the University of Utah as a "silver" bicycle-friendly university.
The decision involved a review by the League of American Bicyclists and local judges who are familiar with the university and its peer institutions. According to the organization's website, a bicycle-friendly community welcomes cyclists by providing safe accommodation for cycling and encouraging people to bike for transportation and recreation.
The designation will last four years before the university must reapply to maintain or improve its status. The university already has plans to expand bicycle parking areas, offer bicycle valets at more university events, bolster its bicycle rental program and to develop more bicycle paths and routes.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 162
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 83
- Police release names of officers... 37
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 36
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17