Man suspected of killing partygoer in Glendale arrested, charged with murder
SALT LAKE CITY — Murder charges were filed Monday in connection with a fatal shooting at a party Sunday.
Just one day after Salt Lake police asked for the public's help in locating Phillip James Lucero, 22, prosecutors filed a single charge of murder, a first-degree felony, against the man in 3rd District Court. Soon after, Lucero turned himself over to police.
Lucero was charged in connection with a shooting at 1093 S. Glendale Drive (1350 West) just before 5 a.m. Sunday that left Valentin Sigala Jr., 20, dead. With Lucero still on the run, a warrant was issued for the man's arrest Monday.
Lucero walked into the police department around 12:15 p.m. Monday and was taken into custody by the officer at the front desk, said Salt Lake police detective Mike Hamideh.
"His exact reasons for turning himself in, I don't know," Hamideh said. "We do have him in custody. ... We're definitely happy to have this guy off the streets."
According to the charges, prosecutors planned to hold Lucero on $1 million bail.
Both Lucero and Sigala were at a party in the Glendale neighborhood when an argument broke out "between various persons," the charges state. At one point, police say Lucero pulled out a semi-automatic pistol and shot Sigala once in the chest.
Sigala's friend took him to an area hospital, where he was declared dead.
Police said they do not know the relationship, if any, between the two men or what may have prompted the argument at the party.
Police asked for the public's help in locating Lucero, who they believed was "armed and dangerous" and potentially headed to Nevada. Hamideh said the tie to Nevada was related to a tip that investigators had been given.
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4...
- Utah came first for Rep. Jim Matheson, but...
- 'Somebody knows what happened,' daughter...
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- New SLCC president hopes to bring 'positive...
- Man shot, killed in confrontation with Tooele...
- About Utah: He un-retired and found a world...
- Rosie is more than just a dog to a Spanish...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 132
- Rally in support of police also draws... 42
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 23
- Utah came first for Rep. Jim Matheson,... 12
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail... 7
- Utah woman among first headed to elite... 5
- Local faith leaders share inspiring... 5