Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Liberty Mutual on Monday presented the Firemark award to the Salt Lake City Fire Department.
The award represents two separate incidents responded to by the department. The first incident, was on the morning of Feb. 2, was a three-alarm blaze that heavily damaged the Pioneer Sawdust Co. plant and several, smaller adjacent businesses in west Salt Lake City. Battalion Chief Tom Roberson was incident commander during that fire. He and crews from SLCFD's A Platoon were honored during Monday's presentation.
The second incident was a two-alarm fire at the North Aspen apartment complex, located at 1722 W. 400 North, which took place the morning of March 29. During that fire, firefighters used ladders to evacuate several residents and their pets from second- and third-floor balconies.
Battalion Chief Clair Baldwin, who was incident commander during that fire, and crews from SLCFD's B Platoon will be honored in a similar presentation on Nov. 6.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Man wanted for questioning in Tooele fire...
- Utah officials find no pesticide violation...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 94
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 28
- Can police-community relations be... 14
- Rep. Mia Love buying $1M in TV ads for... 14
- Giant algal bloom likely to fuel Utah... 10
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9