Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Liberty Mutual on Monday presented the Firemark award to the Salt Lake City Fire Department.
The award represents two separate incidents responded to by the department. The first incident, was on the morning of Feb. 2, was a three-alarm blaze that heavily damaged the Pioneer Sawdust Co. plant and several, smaller adjacent businesses in west Salt Lake City. Battalion Chief Tom Roberson was incident commander during that fire. He and crews from SLCFD's A Platoon were honored during Monday's presentation.
The second incident was a two-alarm fire at the North Aspen apartment complex, located at 1722 W. 400 North, which took place the morning of March 29. During that fire, firefighters used ladders to evacuate several residents and their pets from second- and third-floor balconies.
Battalion Chief Clair Baldwin, who was incident commander during that fire, and crews from SLCFD's B Platoon will be honored in a similar presentation on Nov. 6.
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley detective...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- Draper man dies from injuries in house explosion
- About Utah: Pedal power at the market
- Federal land managers criticized over... 24
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 19
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 11
- Satellites track drought-driven... 9