Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Liberty Mutual on Monday presented the Firemark award to the Salt Lake City Fire Department.
The award represents two separate incidents responded to by the department. The first incident, was on the morning of Feb. 2, was a three-alarm blaze that heavily damaged the Pioneer Sawdust Co. plant and several, smaller adjacent businesses in west Salt Lake City. Battalion Chief Tom Roberson was incident commander during that fire. He and crews from SLCFD's A Platoon were honored during Monday's presentation.
The second incident was a two-alarm fire at the North Aspen apartment complex, located at 1722 W. 400 North, which took place the morning of March 29. During that fire, firefighters used ladders to evacuate several residents and their pets from second- and third-floor balconies.
Battalion Chief Clair Baldwin, who was incident commander during that fire, and crews from SLCFD's B Platoon will be honored in a similar presentation on Nov. 6.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14