High school football, volleyball: Rich High pulls off 2 wins against Monument Valley
RANDOLPH — The Rich Rebels found themselves facing the Monument Valley Cougars on the football field and on the volleyball court Friday afternoon.
First, the Lady Rebels swept the Lady Cougars in the 1A State Volleyball Tournament in three games and then it was the boys' turn. Cold temperatures couldn’t slow down Rich (7-3) as it moved on in the 1A playoffs with a 48-20 win over Monument Valley (5-5).
The football field had been buried by 17 inches of snow Tuesday, and the Rebels tried to bury the Cougars by putting up 28 points in the first quarter Friday.
Rebel quarterback Austin Groll set the first score up with a 50-yard option run around the ride side of the line. Kaden Thomson then punched through from 3 yards out to become the first of seven Rebels that would find the end zone by the end of the game.
An interception set up another quick score for the home team. This time Groll would hit wide receiver Vance Weston right in stride for a 37-yard score.
An 85-yard kickoff return by Lawrence Atine put the the Cougars on the board, but the Rebels had a comfortable halftime lead of 42-7.
The Rebels' coaching staff gave the younger players plenty of playing time in the second half and the Cougars took advantage by taking the second-half kickoff down the field. The drive was capped off by a 12-yard touchdown pass from Atine to Jared Crank.
Rebel Head coach Ashley Brown saw his own son Koy weave his way 32 yards through the defense for the only Rebel score of the second half. Anthony James would catch a pass from Atine for Monument Valley’s final score of a cold afternoon.
High school football: Monument Valley at Rich
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16