UVU golf: Mason Casper tied for lead in Wendy's Kiawah Classic
KIAWAH ISLAND, S.C. – Utah Valley University golfer Mason Casper shot a three-under par 68 Sunday in the first round of the Wendy's Kiawah Classic and is tied for the lead.
Casper, who has three career tournament victories, is tied with South Carolina's Caleb Sturgeon.
"Mason played great. His ball striking was amazing," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "If he had made a few more putts it could have been really low."
Casper is just one of seven players under par from the field of 26 teams.
As a team, the Wolverines are tied for 15th William & Mary and USC-Upstate at 302.
"The conditions were tough and the wind was very strong," Curran said of the conditions at Turtle Pointe Golf Course, a Jack Nicklaus Signature course. "As a team we left a lot of shots out there. The toughest thing was to pick the right club in the wind."
Behind Casper, Corey Eccles is tied for 60th (76), followed by Brayden Eriksen T83 (78), Joey Olson T103 (80) and Preston Richards T117 (82).
South Carlina (282) leads the tournament by seven shots over Winthrop (289) and the College of Charleston (290).
Day 2 gets underway Monday at 5:30 a.m. MT.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of NFL...
- Booker, other locals could get NFL draft...
- Decades later, Thurl Bailey and N.C. State...
- BYU men's volleyball: Underwood and others...
- Niumatalolo and Navy make another trip to the...
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for Utah
- No home games for 7 weeks? RSL explains why a...
- The BYU international basketball tracker: How...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 90
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- BYU's Kaufusi an intriguing NFL... 26
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 20
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 18
- Morning links: NFL Draft prospect news... 18
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14
- BYU football announces full spring... 12