UVU golf: Mason Casper tied for lead in Wendy's Kiawah Classic
KIAWAH ISLAND, S.C. – Utah Valley University golfer Mason Casper shot a three-under par 68 Sunday in the first round of the Wendy's Kiawah Classic and is tied for the lead.
Casper, who has three career tournament victories, is tied with South Carolina's Caleb Sturgeon.
"Mason played great. His ball striking was amazing," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "If he had made a few more putts it could have been really low."
Casper is just one of seven players under par from the field of 26 teams.
As a team, the Wolverines are tied for 15th William & Mary and USC-Upstate at 302.
"The conditions were tough and the wind was very strong," Curran said of the conditions at Turtle Pointe Golf Course, a Jack Nicklaus Signature course. "As a team we left a lot of shots out there. The toughest thing was to pick the right club in the wind."
Behind Casper, Corey Eccles is tied for 60th (76), followed by Brayden Eriksen T83 (78), Joey Olson T103 (80) and Preston Richards T117 (82).
South Carlina (282) leads the tournament by seven shots over Winthrop (289) and the College of Charleston (290).
Day 2 gets underway Monday at 5:30 a.m. MT.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Gordon Hayward's buzzer-beater extends Jazz...
- Empey evaluates BYU's O-line; recruit Haws to...
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out for...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- BYU football hires former player Jack Damuni...
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave Rose's...
- Jazz notes: What happens when Joe Ingles...
- Morning links: Former BYU DB Robertson Daniel...
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 43
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 42
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 33
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon... 26
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 25