UVU golf: Mason Casper tied for lead in Wendy's Kiawah Classic
KIAWAH ISLAND, S.C. – Utah Valley University golfer Mason Casper shot a three-under par 68 Sunday in the first round of the Wendy's Kiawah Classic and is tied for the lead.
Casper, who has three career tournament victories, is tied with South Carolina's Caleb Sturgeon.
"Mason played great. His ball striking was amazing," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "If he had made a few more putts it could have been really low."
Casper is just one of seven players under par from the field of 26 teams.
As a team, the Wolverines are tied for 15th William & Mary and USC-Upstate at 302.
"The conditions were tough and the wind was very strong," Curran said of the conditions at Turtle Pointe Golf Course, a Jack Nicklaus Signature course. "As a team we left a lot of shots out there. The toughest thing was to pick the right club in the wind."
Behind Casper, Corey Eccles is tied for 60th (76), followed by Brayden Eriksen T83 (78), Joey Olson T103 (80) and Preston Richards T117 (82).
South Carlina (282) leads the tournament by seven shots over Winthrop (289) and the College of Charleston (290).
Day 2 gets underway Monday at 5:30 a.m. MT.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Prep sports: All-Sports awards feature 2...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Adam Law breaks...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Utah Jazz: Terry Rozier’s toughness...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 45
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 43
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 40
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 18
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 13
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11