UVU golf: Mason Casper tied for lead in Wendy's Kiawah Classic
KIAWAH ISLAND, S.C. – Utah Valley University golfer Mason Casper shot a three-under par 68 Sunday in the first round of the Wendy's Kiawah Classic and is tied for the lead.
Casper, who has three career tournament victories, is tied with South Carolina's Caleb Sturgeon.
"Mason played great. His ball striking was amazing," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "If he had made a few more putts it could have been really low."
Casper is just one of seven players under par from the field of 26 teams.
As a team, the Wolverines are tied for 15th William & Mary and USC-Upstate at 302.
"The conditions were tough and the wind was very strong," Curran said of the conditions at Turtle Pointe Golf Course, a Jack Nicklaus Signature course. "As a team we left a lot of shots out there. The toughest thing was to pick the right club in the wind."
Behind Casper, Corey Eccles is tied for 60th (76), followed by Brayden Eriksen T83 (78), Joey Olson T103 (80) and Preston Richards T117 (82).
South Carlina (282) leads the tournament by seven shots over Winthrop (289) and the College of Charleston (290).
Day 2 gets underway Monday at 5:30 a.m. MT.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 33