UVU golf: Mason Casper tied for lead in Wendy's Kiawah Classic
KIAWAH ISLAND, S.C. – Utah Valley University golfer Mason Casper shot a three-under par 68 Sunday in the first round of the Wendy's Kiawah Classic and is tied for the lead.
Casper, who has three career tournament victories, is tied with South Carolina's Caleb Sturgeon.
"Mason played great. His ball striking was amazing," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "If he had made a few more putts it could have been really low."
Casper is just one of seven players under par from the field of 26 teams.
As a team, the Wolverines are tied for 15th William & Mary and USC-Upstate at 302.
"The conditions were tough and the wind was very strong," Curran said of the conditions at Turtle Pointe Golf Course, a Jack Nicklaus Signature course. "As a team we left a lot of shots out there. The toughest thing was to pick the right club in the wind."
Behind Casper, Corey Eccles is tied for 60th (76), followed by Brayden Eriksen T83 (78), Joey Olson T103 (80) and Preston Richards T117 (82).
South Carlina (282) leads the tournament by seven shots over Winthrop (289) and the College of Charleston (290).
Day 2 gets underway Monday at 5:30 a.m. MT.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Ranking the best free-agent signings in Utah...
- There were some highlights in Utah Jazz's...
- Randy Hollis: Hayward's price tag too much...
- Utah Jazz guard Dante Exum sings to himself...
- Can Devin Mahina help bring glory back to...
- Utah Jazz 'ecstatic' for Charlotte-bound...
- Rodney Hood gets first crack at his old...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton leads...
- Is independence a viable option for... 138
- BYU football players like the variety,... 74
- Jazz match, Gordon Hayward to sign... 57
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match... 28
- Randy Hollis: Hayward's price tag too... 21
- Big turnout of fans buoys Jazz 18
- Utah Utes to face familiar faces in... 14
- Jimmer Fredette returns to Provo to... 14