SALT LAKE CITY — Police are searching for a man in connection with the shooting death of another early Sunday morning following a shooting at a Glendale party.
Police responded to a 4:50 a.m. call that shots had been fired at 1094 S. Glendale Drive, but the victim, 20-year-old Valentin Sigala, had been taken to Intermountain Medical Center by a friend, where he was pronounced dead, according to Salt Lake City Police Lt. Scott White.
Sigala was struck in the chest by a single shot, White said.
Police are looking for 22-year-old Philip Lucero, who they say may have been involved in the incident. Lucero is described as 5 feet 6 inches tall and 175 pounds, with black hair and brown eyes. He was last seen driving a beige Chevrolet Trailblazer.
Police are requesting the public's help in locating Lucero, though they caution that he is considered armed and dangerous. Salt Lake City Police Lt. Josh Sharman said Lucero may be traveling southwest toward Nevada.
White said the death was connected to the shooting at the party by the license plate of the vehicle that left the victim at the hospital. He said it was not yet clear whether the victim died on the way to the hospital.
"They pretty much dropped him off and left," White said. "Their intent was probably to get him help, but they didn't stick around."
Police believe the shooting took place after a fight broke out that spilled over into the front yard of the house where the party was being held. Sharman said police had not determined a motive for the altercation and shooting Sunday. They were interviewing witnesses from the party with assistance from the Salt Lake City gang unit.
Contributing: Benjamin Wood
- Search warrants: Poisoning suspected in...
- Officers say they shot Darrien Hunt out of...
- West Jordan boy loses battle with leukemia,...
- Sex abuse claims against Utah educator who...
- Three amendments to Utah Constitution on the...
- Orem’s most notorious eyesore to be...
- SLC man builds 2,000-pound, fiire-breathing...
- Utah humanitarian aid worker returns from...
- Doug Owens ahead of Mia Love in new poll 58
- Most Utah students aren't proficient in... 53
- State autopsy: Police shot Darrien Hunt... 34
- Officers say they shot Darrien Hunt out... 25
- Sex abuse claims against Utah educator... 20
- Low SAGE scores 'not a surprise' in... 19
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 19
- Did officer who shot Darrien Hunt use... 17